[P2P-F] Open System

Rasmus Wikman rasmus.wikman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 12:22:44 CEST 2011

A long read, hope you take the time!

To clarify; I'm approaching this from a technological perspective
purely out of strategic reasons and time constraints. While it would
be reasonable to have a broad societal discussing regarding new
political models, there's no time as I see it. The tiger and many
other species are probably already beyond saving due to infertility.
This is my main concern.

The current economical model, capitalism, is based on the fact that we
needed to mount up large amount of capital to collectively afford
industry.

With recent developments - like OSE, RepRap and Arduino - industry is
moving to open and small scale. They are prototypical but requires
only attention to become viable.

With industry smaller in scale and easier to set up, capitalism will
fail. Small initiatives is and will always be faster and more creative
than the behemoths we see today.

While many intellectuals have advocated free market economy as the
best economical model, I'd say that open market economy is closer to
reality. It only requires one company in each industry to open their
economy and it will become the new way to compete. All things open.

One way to achieve this would be to through democracy open up state
owned car and aeroplane factories and share manufacturing know-how
with the open movement. But as you know, the global political climate
today is far from constructive, so a faster path is to use what open
information there is to achieve this.

There is one crucial standard, called JDF (short for Job Definition
Format). It's mainly intended for the printing industry, but it
contains all relevant methodology needed for any industry. And as the
inkjet-printing technology is maturing, its uses are broader than just
ink on paper; it's chemicals on a surface and could also be used to
print solar cells, biological cells, you name it. That's open
chemistry and in effect open pharmaceutics among other things.

Production methodology is semantics, removing the names for what we
call things and looking at it from a purely technological perspective,
JDF can be used as a basis for all industries.

So, what I'm trying to say that the most effective way to change
society for the "better" is to change the foundation; economy. After
that, new models for education, healthcare, etc will have to be sorted
out.

When the open movement achieves the milestone of creating food and
housing cheaper than the current economic model, open and free, a new
society is born as these are the two fundamental needs of any human
being aside from freedom of thought.

At least I would choose free soy and collective housing to be able to
work for the collective instead of what we refer to as "luxury" -
Mindless consumption on a dying planet.

With a community owned communication and information system, all this
can be achieved in "no time". Because that's what society is, a
systematic way of finding and collecting food and building shelters.
Less is more.

Best regards,

Rasmus

http://opensourceecology.org