[P2P-F] conservative critique of commons in Germany

Stefan Meretz stefan at meretz.de
Sun Jul 24 11:20:13 CEST 2011

Dear Michel,

just flew over the article, and find completely not interesting enough to
invest more time. The authors simply didn't get the point, or, I guess,
they intentionally miss it. Very brief the content:
- commons discourse is backward oriented
- throws away 200 years of scientific knowledge
- argues only morally
- expresses discomfort with technology and modernity
- there is no contradiction between common and private good
- it is rather a continuum, because private property is limited too
- commons = common property = public good
- Hardin was right, the tragedy of the commons "is an historical fact"
- only private property can limit total waste of environment
- sucessful example: CO2 certificates (and trade with them)
- the second part of the article is about "europe as a common good"
(where common good = public good = state governed good)

Found no serious counter argument. Conservatives do not require to be
serious, they simply play with prejudices.

Maybe Silke or Brigitte are more gracious with their judgement...

Ciao,
Stefan

PS: Please change my address to stefan at meretz.de in your address list.

--