[P2P-F] autocracy as most efficient governance?

George Dafermos G.N.Dafermos at tudelft.nl
Wed Jul 20 00:33:21 CEST 2011

hey michel,

i'm afraid there are no links this time; although the research literature on free software and open source is continuously growing, i've yet to see a study focusing on perl (with the exception of steven weber's brief discussion in 'the success of open source'). as for freebsd, you'll have to wait a few more months for the official release of my dissertation:)

regarding soviets and whether more generally there is a tendency in council-based forms of organisation to contravene individual autonomy of action and become totalitarian, i suppose it depends on 'what we make of them'. if our idea of councils is modeled upon the gerontocracy of village elders in traditional rural communities or on the mechanism of domination that soviets became in the hands of the bolsheviks, then it will no doubt appear as if the sperm of fascism is latent in councils. but the term 'council' could equally well be used to describe antiauthoriatarian and bottom-up forms of organisation: for example, strike and occupation committees in worker-occupied factories. to say that councils have a tendency toward totalitarianism is not that much different than saying that all forms of collective organisation have a tendency toward totalitarianism. i know some people would find this to be a fairly tenable argument over a pint of beer at the pub (especially some of my social psychologists-friends who like to explain everything by reference to the diachronic struggle of the individual against the collectivity) but the problem with this view is that it cannot account for the existence of anti-hierarchical organisations which champion the individual autonomy of their members.

x.
g.