[P2P-F] Fwd: [P2P-URBANISM WA] The tragedy endured by the Amazon rainforest.

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 10:23:02 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: felipe velasquez <velasquez.felipe at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:08 AM
Subject: Re: [P2P-URBANISM WA] Postmodern / post-structuralist philosophers
and P2P Urbanism
To: p2p-urbanism-world-atlas at googlegroups.com

Dear friends, i would like to share with this group this article about the
economical situation in the Amazonas, the relation with economy and
sustaintable development.

The tragedy endured by the Amazon rainforest.

Most Latin American countries share a same feature which is having within
its territory three different natural landscapes: the jungle, the mountains
and the coast. My question is: why a continent that has so many resources
and so important geopolitical conditions is still depending on a
hierarchical, centralized and speculative economic system, which is not
intended for cultural, social, economic and, let alone, territorial
conditions? (Number one) And, why having these so specific natural
conditions - which could allow to develop homogeneous productive systems,
and would also help build better social relations, and, therefore the
relations with the territory (environment) - has nobody thought of providing
local economic indicators, in each area of exploitation? (Number two) These
indicators would be able to achieve a better natural resources safeguarding
system, controlled exploitation, productive chains, territory distribution
systems, food resources, establishment and management of wealth and food
self-sufficiency.

The Amazon Rainforest is a territory shared by Colombia, Peru, Ecuador,
Brazil, Bolivia and Venezuela. It is known that ,so far, the central
governments, from every Amazonian country, had been more concerned about
solving their capital towns' problems, connected to the global economic
system, foreign debt, urban employment, violence and their relationship with
the United States, than addressing the jungle inhabitants' internal
problems. At this moment, the Amazonian forests are undergoing an
incalculable tragedy, since the neglect of the central government led to
allow the creation of timber and resources exploitation mafias. If something
is not done quickly, there is a serious danger that the business exhaust
what little remains of it. Although in the forest up to six different
currencies are used, none is able to actually regulate the real resource,
which is the forest itself, its resources and culture. In this sense, it is
conceivable that the gangs are working for the money which is served by a
central economy, which lacks support [1] and they are using up a true
resource, capable to generate, as well, a real economic model. [2] It is
about something like that contracted with money which lacks any backing or
any proven system of representation, the Brazilian, Colombian and Peruvian
mafias are extracting the resources (not renewable) from Latin America and,
on top of that, exterminating the cultures that have lived there for ages.

[1] No one knows what the dolar truly represents and the euro walks in a
dangerous tightrope. Presumably the evidence of the damage that inflicted
instability in the U.S. financial system is beginning to build a NO
DEPENDENT system, from the others, where the production systems and wealth
distribution may be fitted to the real territorial conditions in each
country.

[2] The reduction of CO2 emissions will have to become a real resource, able
to generate a new economy. In this respect, the Amazon is a key resource,
since it can purify loads of air.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/p2p-urbanism-world-atlas?hl=en