[P2P-F] update on the FON wireless project

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:38:48 CEST 2011

thanks Steven,

if you spot any recent article on their status, thanks for letting me know,

Michel

Topic: update on the FON wireless project
Steven Leeman <steven.leeman at gmail.com> Jul 06 12:05AM -0700 ^

Hi,

FON works according to the "sharing" principle....
you share your wifi at home...I do thesame..when you visit my home you
can get online as well...

this worked nicely but it's exploding fast now that ISP's are also
using it in their internet wifi routers like BT (England), ZON
(Portugal), Comstar Russia, Softbank Japan... and within a few months
also Belgacom will activate it on their million of subscribers...

It works with "isolated modus" so if you launch a neighbourhood
scanner you will only find yourself and the fonspot... not the others
connected to it...

it works with a captive portal... so everybody has to give their ID...
but you can "remember" your credentials or you can use a "connection
manager" available for many platforms (www.easywifi.com) that use the
WISPR protocol

and in some countries like BT & Belgacom the public wifi signal will
be using a seperate ppoe session with a different public ip not
traceable to the internet modem user....

at the moment there are more than 4 million fonspots ...

and more isp's are joining soon!!!
it's still possible to flash a linksys WRT54GL with FON firmware or
buy a cheap fonera if your with an ISP that didn't join this network
of Cigar Smokers :-)