[P2P-F] Fwd: July Issue of OSBR Available, on Women Entrepreneurs

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:08:14 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris McPhee <chris.mcphee at osbr.ca>
Date: Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM
Subject: July Issue of OSBR Available
To: Chris McPhee <chris.mcphee at osbr.ca>

Dear Readers,

The July 2011 issue of the OSBR is now available at osbr.ca. The editorial
theme for this issue of the OSBR is Women Entrepreneurs.

In this issue, we examine the reasons for the relative lack of women
founders and leaders in technology businesses. Our authors discuss the
entrepreneurial challenges that are unique to women and what changes may be
implemented to tip the balance and increase the number of women
entrepreneurs. This issue features the following articles:

Tess Jewell, a PhD student at York University and Ryerson University,
describes the social and environmental factors that influence women’s
career choices and participation in entrepreneurship.

Roseann O’Reilly Runte, President and Vice-Chancellor of Carleton
University, emphasizes the importance of women's participation in
entrepreneurial activities and their impact on regional economic
development, including solutions for cultivating a more supportive
environment for women entrepreneurs.

J. McGrath Cohoon, Associate Professor at the University of Virginia and
Senior Research Scientist at the National Center for Women & IT, describes
research to determine what gender differences might contribute to the
unequal gender composition of successful founders.

Janice Singer and Deborah Dexter, Industrial Technology Advisors for the
National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program
(IRAP), describe existing programs to support women entrepreneurs and
introduce Lead to Win for Women, a new program to increase the number of
women-founded businesses in Canada's Capital Region.

Ruth Bastedo, President of Experience Media Group Inc., answers the
question: Why is there a dearth of women on high-growth technology startup
teams? She describes the challenges she has faced as an entrepreneur and
shares insights into the reasons for the current imbalance.

Cate Huston, Software Engineer at Google, answers the question: Should all
women aspire to be entrepreneurs? In addition to supporting women
entrepreneurs, she recommends encouraging and celebrating less overt forms
of leadership.

For the upcoming August issue, we offer a rare unthemed issue and we
welcome general submissions on the topic of open source business or the
growth of early-stage technology companies. This is a great opportunity to
publish your insights without having to wait for a relevant issue theme.
Please contact me (chris.mcphee at osbr.ca) immediately if you are interested
in submitting an article for the August issue.

Kind regards,

Chris McPhee
Editor, Open Source Business Resource
http://www.osbr.ca

If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from the OSBR, please
send your request by email and I will unsubscribe you.
Open Source Business Resource
http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr