[P2P-F] an open letter to a pro-copyright author

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 02:05:50 CET 2011

On Friday, January 28, 2011 10:24:15 am Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Arguing with a take-down notice is about as productive.  Depending on
> jurisdiction, it is also perilous, since ones Internet Provider may have
> to pull the plug absent a compliant response, not to mention the prospect
> of being dragged into court.
>
> So long as copyright subsists automatically in original works, it remains
> the exclusive right of the copyright holder to decide whether and how to
> "free" their work.  One can work to have that changed; willful disregard
> for it is far from heroic unless one is truly prepared to suffer the
> consequences.
>
>  - Dennis

This argument made in public by Josef is quite productive - it signals to
everyone that our culture is changing.  When man-made laws (thou shall not
copy) run counter to the laws of physics (copying cannot be stopped) there is
no contest about which will prevail.  Josef has stood up against outdated
tradition and pointed out that those traditions don't actually help us in the
medium to long term.  As Korzybski would have said, they are actually harmful
to the extent that they don't align with reality.

Well done Josef!

-Karl