[P2P-F] very important: the end of rss ?

Sepp Hasslberger sepp at lastrega.com
Fri Jan 28 16:39:28 CET 2011

Dear Michel,

I looked at this article and find it without much basis in fact, meaning that the idea that big media is killing RSS and that people have to "save RSS" is not borne out by any facts the writer cites.

I commented as follows (see below) but I don't think it is really a topic of interest for us...

Here is my comment as posted on the article:

"Big media might want to kill RSS, but there is scant evidence that it does. Why should they care? RSS is simply another way of getting more visitors to your site, even if some RSS readers only scan the summary and don't open the article itself.

What the article you referenced shows is that people aren't using RSS readers as much as they use social media to scout out content that's interesting to them. That has less to do with what big media wants and more with how people feel about using an RSS reader.

No one has really sat down yet to make a killer-app RSS reader. Perhaps google reader comes close, but in general I find the RSS reader interface less than sasisfying. I have used Shrook for some years and am currently using the RSS reader incorporated in Mac Mail. None of those really make me want to use them ... and I really try. What about people who have hardly heard the word RSS, much less have an idea of what it is?

RSS won't die, but it will wither without a user-friendly and pleasurable interface."

Kind regards - Sepp

"The individual is supreme and finds the way through intuition"

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/
http://www.laleva.org
http://blog.hasslberger.com/
http://www.facebook.com/hasslberger