[P2P-F] Fwd: ted - stroke of insight - video - right hemisphere like parallel processor, left hemisphere like serial processor

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 05:15:13 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Subject: ted - stroke of insight - video - right hemisphere like parallel
processor, left hemisphere like serial processor
To: sustainable_solidarity at yahoogroups.com, hc_ecology at yahoogroups.com,
econowmix at googlegroups.com

nice to see this ted presentation again :

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

around perception

( choice of under-titles in various languages available under the video )

---

at minute 3

excerpted the speech transcript from

http://www.strategies-for-managing-change.com/tao-of-change.html

*Microcircuitry of the brain *

Jill says of her work:"... we were essentially mapping the microcircuitry of
the brain, which cells are communicating with which cells, with which
chemicals, and then with what quantities of those chemicals.

And when you look at the brain, it's obvious that the two cerebral cortices
are completely separate from one another.

For those of you who understand computers, our right hemisphere functions
like a parallel processor. While our left hemisphere functions like a serial
processor. The two hemispheres do communicate with one another through the
corpus collosum, which is made up of some 300 million axonal fibers. But
other than that, the two hemispheres are completely separate.

Because they process information differently, each hemisphere thinks about
different things, they care about different things, and dare I say, they
have very different personalities."

*Right brain*

"Our right hemisphere is all about this present moment. It's all about right
here right now. Our right hemisphere, it thinks in pictures and it learns
kinesthetically through the movement of our bodies. Information in the form
of energy streams in simultaneously through all of our sensory systems. And
then it explodes into this enormous collage of what this present moment
looks like. What this present moment smells like and tastes like, what it
feels like and what it sounds like.

I am an energy being connected to the energy all around me through the
consciousness of my right hemisphere. We are energy beings connected to one
another through the consciousness of our right hemispheres as one human
family. And right here, right now, all we are brothers and sisters on this
planet, here to make the world a better place. And in this moment we are
perfect. We are whole. And we are beautiful."

*Left brain*

"My left hemisphere is a very different place. Our left hemisphere thinks
linearly and methodically. Our left hemisphere is all about the past, and
it's all about the future. Our left hemisphere is designed to take that
enormous collage of the present moment. And start picking details and more
details and more details about those details. It then categorizes and
organizes all that information. Associates it with everything in the past
we've ever learned and projects into the future all of our possibilities.

And our left hemisphere thinks in language. It's that ongoing brain chatter
that connects me and my internal world to my external world. It's that
little voice that says to me, "Hey, you gotta remember to pick up bananas on
your way home, and eat 'em in the morning." It's that calculating
intelligence that reminds me when I have to do my laundry. But perhaps most
important, it's that little voice that says to me, "I am. I am." And as soon
as my left hemisphere says to me "I am," I become separate. I become a
single solid individual separate from the energy flow around me and separate
from you."