[P2P-F] Bitcoin @ EFF

Douglas Rushkoff rushkoff at rushkoff.com
Mon Jan 24 18:30:43 CET 2011

In United States, the intention or category of service can't really be
left to the interpretation of the doer.

It is true that favors are not taxed. But the distinction between
favor and commercial service is not left up to the people conducting
the transaction to define. The favor must be in a field or service for
which the doer does not get paid otherwise. A refrigerator repairman
cannot fix someone's fridge in the non-taxable neighborhood scheme,
because he does it professionally.

The real distinction I'm trying to draw is less about whether the
individuals need to report their income to the IRS than about whether
the organization administrating those transactions is responsible for
reporting to the IRS and those who conducted the transaction.

If the currency corresponds to a fixed dollar amount, then the
administrators of the transaction are not obligated to inform the
traders of the cash-equivalent of the transaction, since it would
already be known.