[P2P-F] sharing, essence of things, technological determinism, economic determinism, and neoliberalism

Andreas Wittel andreas.wittel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 16:02:14 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

 this is a late contribution to the very interesting debate between Roberto
and Martin on abundance, free culture, information exceptionalism, and the
essence of things. I am responding to Roberto's call for others to jump in
to break the deadlock. I found myself strangely in the middle, agreeing with
Roberto on some issues and with Martin on others.

 I share Martin's reservations about free culture. As long as we have not
found a way to pay for the labour of cultural workers while all the rest of
economic activity maintains the status quo this is a dangerous road to
travel (I wont't go into this any further as this is another issue). I side
with Roberto on the difference between digital and material things and their
implications for human behaviour. And I find myself sitting on the fence
when it comes to the economic implications of this difference. For sure it
is important to make a distinction between the material and the digital side
of the information economy (see Patrick's clarification on the two sides of
cyberspace on 4.1.2011)