[P2P-F] Anyone know about Comingled Code?

Paul B. Hartzog paulbhartzog at futureforwardinstitute.com
Mon Feb 21 16:02:49 CET 2011

Given the authors, endorsements, etc.
I would say this book likely attempts to undercut
any support for radical claims about the innovativeness
of a "new economics"

Ex.
"It appears likely that much of the public sector’s enthusiasm for
open source is rooted as much in political than in economic considerations. "

"the success of open source and proprietary software is
likely to be linked to the overall development of the economy"

"
the lack
of interest of the students at Nanyang Technological University
reflect their perception
that mastering proprietary software will lead to attractive career
opportunities"

"This case study examines Electric Genetics, a bioinformatics company
that has relied on
open source software. The open source approach, however, becomes a
liability when key
employees defect with critical code, and succeed in obtaining
government support for
their new enterprise. While the open source model gives the firm
access to a large pool of
talent and expertise to improve its products, it leaves it vulnerable
to rivals because of its
limited ability to benefit financially from its effort at developing code."

etc.
etc.
etc.

I'm sure you can all see the trend.

For what it's worth,
if Hal Varian likes it, it probably toes the party line in economics.

“Unlike much of the writing on open source versus proprietary
software, this book offers factual evidence, careful analysis, and
evenhanded discussion, while avoiding unsupported opinions, hyperbole,
and exaggeration. Everyone who is concerned with open source will want
to read this book.”
—Hal Varian, Chief Economist at Google

-p