[P2P-F] local community development in Egypt

Keith Taylor taylorkeith at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 20:12:17 CET 2011

I think so!  But this time the protestors are heartened by the Tunisia example.  Which is to say: don't EVER give up until ever last demand is met.  It's not that the Argentines gave up, but they had a government solidly in place that still demanded acquiessence... in Egypt, the people are firm in their commitment of a government literally for the people.

My greatest hope is a weak central government that encourages alternative economic and governance systems at the local level.  I think that is quite possible depending on the long term tenacity of these amazing revolutionaries.

One other comment... I am extremely inspired to see that the folks in Wisconsin are identifying their struggle with Egypt and Tunisia.  Perhaps this is the beginning of the global movement we have been waiting for?  Instead of being exported from the West in an elitist manner, this is authentically a populist movement incorporating diverse views (and being exported for the so-called "near-East").  When Westerners can start identifying with peoples of all of the other cardinal-regions (the Global South, the Middle East), then I think true solidarity has begun to form.

Just my two cents!

Keith Taylor
Doctoral Student
Human and Community Development