[P2P-F] Traditional Indigenous Knowledge listed as Intangible Cultural Heritage, in the Colombian Amazon

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:20:14 CET 2011

2011/2/8 Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>:
> http://www.gaiafoundation.org/content/highlights-2010-and-path-ahead
>
> Dear Carolina,
>
> I wonder if you had any comment on this? Is this a good thing?
>
> Michel
>
> --
> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

> Commons Strategies Group, http://www.commonsstrategies.org/

An aside: I thought it was interesting that Gaia Foundation lists
http://www.gaiafoundation.org/content/biochar as a "False Solution".

Christoph Steiner has some serious research work into biochar and
terra preta/terra mulata
http://biochar.bioenergylists.org/?q=taxonomy/term/118 and the
archaeology of biochar in Amazonia.

Janice Thies's work is also worth reading on this subject
http://css.cals.cornell.edu/cals/css/people/faculty.cfm?netId=jet25

Turns out that biochar at least *was* part of the cultural heritage of
indigenous peoples of Amazonia (and North America). It was even part
of the very ecology itself (natural ecologies evolved and adapted to
human fire activities on both continents. We can still see this today
in species like the Jack Pine native to my home here in Michigan
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_22664-60337--,00.html
which adapted to a landscape where indigenous peoples regularly
started fires).

The contrasting argument is that the ecology of biomass in those times
likely was able to easily afford regular burning, where now massive
deforestation has reduced the global capacity. Still, I think the
ecologies of Amazonia totally change without indigenous people and
fire transforming the landscapes. It is part of the real heritage of
the place from what I understand.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com