[P2P-F] [Commoning] new capitalism and commoning

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:20:07 CET 2011

translated, modernity threatens pre-modernity ... yes, that is undoubtedly
true,

but I would add that trans-modernity can regenerate pre-modernity hence the
many initiatives by people protecting traditional knowledge and medicine; we
also see a enormous revival of traditional and complementary medicines in
advanced western countries, which correlates with educational level (higher
educated people rely less on scientific medicine)

a strategy of protection of traditional medicine which would rely on
forbidding foreign language, education and western medicine, does not seem
to have much chance of achieving anything, least of all the protection of
traditional medicine, which in a unprotected traditional society would be
swept away in an instant; hence an intelligent mix of resistance to protect
traditional lifestyles and modes of production, mixed with an adaptation to
modernity, and a strong push straight towards transmodernity, would seem
like better strategies

amongst the local poor people I have spoken with here, there is a universal
consensus that they would like education for their children and the
protection of their own culture, and access to western medicine as well as
continued use of traditional medicine; I have actually never meet anyone who
refused access to education and medicine, given the chance; rather they
complain about the lack and inequality of access

for example, such were the demands of the rural red shirt uprising, and
their desire to protect the advances they had obtained under a previous
pre-coup administration: universal healthcare, and scholarships for poor
children

Commons Strategies Group, http://www.commonsstrategies.org/