[P2P-F] PhD in "Open Source" Urbanism Solutions for Bucharest (Romania)

Geo Scripcariu geo.scripcariu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 09:34:14 CET 2011

Hi All,

Considerably influenced by the work "Situated Technologies Pamphlets 2:
Urban Versioning System 1.0", I started a PhD last Autumn (2010) at the "Ion
Mincu" University of Architecture and Urbanism in Bucharest (UAIUM),
Romania, concentrating on the concept of "Open Source" Urbanism and its
potential practical solutions to the various problems of Bucharest, the
capital city of my country.

Let me briefly introduce myself: I graduated Software Engineering at the
Computer Science faculty of the Politehnica University of Bucharest, and I
studied Japanese language and Culture at The Jesuit School in Tokyo, Japan.
I hold a MA in the Management of Cultural Assets from the Faculty of History
at the University of Bucharest, and in 2009 I was accepted by the EMBA
program in Creative Leadership with Steinbeis University in Berlin.

To my surprise my research topic was accepted, but I realized I need more
guidance from the true visionaries of the field, persons like you.

My intention is to start very practical applications of the theory of "Open
Source" Urbanism as soon as possible, in parallel with the theoretical work.

Moreover, if you will be interested to participate I would be most glad to
arrange either your attendance to specialized functions dealing with "New"
Urbanism and scheduled to take place in Bucharest or elsewhere in Romania,
or even stand alone events on "Open Source" Urbanism where you could be the
main speakers.

If you allow, I have right now one urgent question, if I may: what
architecture research methods are relevant for "Open Source" Urbanism? I
discovered recently an academic paper dealing with this issue, but not
specifically with Open Surce / P2P Urbanism (
http://api.ning.com/files/dOPtu7qbGChsnM--aFoeTEckKuRQs3JhqURFuQhG4xMTx1kQlsCs710HhVtIkg9wqqR9uxUbWYDXk8ajkTDZ-ObpCyVYh8EE/paper_dutoit_091120.pdf
).

At my school there is a preference for philosophy as main research tool,
with a lot of phenomenology (mostly Heidegger), hermeneutics, aesthetics and
semiotics (with a clear accent on U. Eco).

Would you kindly accept to provide me some advice and / or feedback?

Sincerely,

Geo Scripcariu

--
Geo Scripcariu