[P2P-F] mondragon exploits workers, polish strike

Nicholas Roberts niccolo.roberts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 03:29:14 CET 2011

http://gaiapermaculture.com/projects/permaculturecooperative/blog/2009/07/17/mondragon-permaculture-cooperative/

Similarly, several of the industrial Mondragon cooperatives have in recent
years faced increased pressure from, for example, auto-part buyers (i.e. car
manufacturers) to open manufacturing plants in Third World countries, or to
lose important contracts.   We talked at length with Fred about Mondragon’s
globalisation strategy - it now has 70 odd manufacturing plants overseas -
none of which are as yet cooperatives.  This “multi-localisation” process is
covered in JM Luzarraga’s PhD defense
presentation<http://www.slideshare.net/jmluzarraga/mondragon-multilocalisation-strategy-jm-luzarraga-phd-defense-4th-june-2008-presentation>.
Briefly, the cooperatives are embedded in the global capitalist system, with
the result that appliance-making companies like Fagor have found it
impossible to compete with companies who are outsourcing.  This is not to
say that they haven’t tried to come up with ways to cooperatise their
outsourced plants, but there are many obstacles, not the least of which is
that, in some countries, it’s not merely infeasible to create a cooperative,
it’s illegal.