[P2P-F] Do you believe in free will??

mp mp at aktivix.org
Fri Dec 30 13:37:47 CET 2011

...free will probably exists, but if it does, then it will be very
difficult to achieve in the haze of pressures, distortions, illusions
and confusions arising from societal and market pressures, family and
friends, not to mention evolutionary encoding, habits and all the
contrivances with which we surround ourselves.

However, it seems to me that Western philosophers, as is common, are
looking in the wrong places, and therefore won't find anything of use.
Perhaps they lack free will and act much too much on institutional leanings.

Were I to explore the concept of free will, I would start with an
in-depth investigation of wu wei or the doctrine of non-action - if you
know when *not* to act, that is if you are able to resist
preprogramming, then you might be closer to freedom. I would complement
that with studies of magic, i.e. "the art and science of causing changes
in consciousness in accordance with will".