[P2P-F] Fwd: Surprising Research on Gift Giving

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Dec 22 14:54:23 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Institute of Noetic Sciences <membership at noetic.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM
Subject: Surprising Research on Gift Giving
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

    [image: A Gift to
IONS]<http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=r9EbxlEyKPIKfhZkx44uCg>

Dear Michel,
At this time of year, it’s especially clear that how and where we direct
our intentions—and our dollars—has immediate impacts on ourselves and the
causes we support.

Researchers in the field of consciousness studies have found that* giving
is good for you <http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=KnpIzwroqKTIZMeOsK83RQ>*—for
your health, your happiness, and your sense of purpose!

Consciousness research, which has been studying the science of giving for
decades, has taught us that *giving and receiving are among the most
healing expressions* that humans can make. They can help heal the
separateness we often feel from ourselves, each other, and the environment.

According to IONS-sponsored research, *acts of altruism can elicit a
positive immune system response:*

   - Dr. Jeff Levin, an epidemiologist, found that a correlation exists
   between almost every dimension of love and patients’ descriptions of better
   health, more positive emotional well–being, higher self–esteem, and a sense
   of personal control in their lives.
   - Results of IONS’ Compassionate Intention Study *suggest that loving or
   compassionate intention can influence a person’s physiology*, ranging
   from brain activity measurements to skin conductance.

Research by IONS colleague Dr. Stephen Post, professor of bioethics at Case
Western Reserve University and president of the Institute for Research on
Unlimited Love, suggests a strong correlation between a person’s well-being
and their inclination toward altruistic acts.

An especially compelling study conducted by Dr. Dean Ornish demonstrated
that feelings of increased interconnectedness with others can change gene
expression, making relationships critical to health and well–being.

*Your contribution to
IONS<http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=-X03q7siFy45xa7HtVtGBg>helps
bring these ideas into the world
*. Be part of this new story of our human potential by giving to an
organization that supports the advancement of our fundamental
interconnectedness!

Happy Holidays,

[image: Marilyn Schlitz]

Marilyn Schlitz, Ph.D
IONS President / CEO

[image: Donate Today]<http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=CkiD8m0m5HMtiAn1uEQGiw>

P.S. We hope you will be moved to consider the Institute of Noetic Sciences
among your top charities because you believe that *consciousness
matters!* Every
gift, large and small, helps us to *continue our research and our
educational outreach*<http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=FDBb4u2BqMZussFyYb1Ijg>
*for a world that needs healing.*

Thank you.

(If you have already made a recent gift, please excuse this additional
reminder and accept our gratitude!)

 [image: A Gift to
IONS]<http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=6nclfsJHTLED8GTVRNxEJg>
Send to a Friend <http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=_wiNElWdYgAgkiKNHnEr8Q>
|  Contact Us <http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=dzEdCz1gGmS7TNfeC7CX3w>
 |  Support
IONS <http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=9ROLyGlL6iMq12Uf9zmzZg>

Institute of Noetic Sciences • 625 2nd St., Ste. 200 • Petaluma • CA • 94952

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email
preferences.<http://trans.noetic.org/site/CO?i=Fa254-5uK_DtVMK06fMrlJqHLUoHgE61&cid=0>
 [image: powered by CONVIO]
<http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=DwzJ6G2NitJZep5jPdm1Fw>
nonprofit software <http://trans.noetic.org/site/R?i=ESEY8AtMrxwvrqWNJgw_1Q>