[P2P-F] Fw: Tax dodging

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 12:18:13 CET 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Marie Campbell - 38 Degrees <action at 38degrees.org.uk>
To: dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 20 December 2011, 17:52
Subject: Tax dodging

Dear friend,

This morning, we found out that the government’s tax collectors - HMRC - don't seem to have been doing their job properly. Instead of making sure everyone is paying their fair share of tax, they’ve agreed to “sweetheart deals” letting big companies off paying billions of pounds. [1]

The government will be hoping we’re too busy doing our Christmas shopping and working out how we’re going to pay our heating bills to care what their tax officers have been up to. But they’re wrong.

A huge public outcry and a flood of complaints to HMRC will send a powerful message: we won’t stand for the government giving big business the green light to dodge billions in tax.

It only takes 2 minutes to send a complaint letter to HMRC - we’ll collect all the letters together and deliver them in the New Year: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/complain-to-HMRC

Today's news is full of the shocking details of these deals. The Daily Mail warns "While families, shopkeepers and small businesses are forced to pay their bills in full, big businesses are striking favourable deals and have a 'far too cosy' relationship with HM Revenue and Customs." [2]

As lots of us prepare for winter on a tight budget, it’s not hard to imagine that those billions of pounds could have been spent on something better than stuffing the wallets of the most powerful companies in the country. We could have spent it on schools, on hospitals, or making sure everyone can have a safe, warm home this Christmas time.

We know that tax dodging is a big issue. That's why last month we decided that it should be something we should make an urgent priority. [3] This is our chance to make sure we get a fairer system. A people-powered flood of complaints now will surprise HMRC and force them to think again.

Send your letter of complaint to HMRC now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/complain-to-HMRC

Over the last few hours on Facebook lots of 38 Degrees members have been speaking out. [4] Here are some of their comments:
- Tober: "It's a Scandal. Get to it 38 degrees!!"
- Paul: "A list of these firms need to be published and the individual amount they owe. Im glad this is front page news today"
- Andy: "disgusting smell of corruption hangs over this whole business."
- Dean: "I feel so angry about this - and so impotent, what can be done?"
- Michelle: "No it isn't fair, but sadly I'm not surprised! The rich get richer and the poor can pay!"
- Diana: "No it isn't fair and that unfairness is at the heart of all the resentment and division in our society. When did someone decide it was OK for tax officials to accept lunches or other gifts?"

Send the tax office your letter of complaint now - then we’ll collect them together to make a huge people-powered impact:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/complain-to-HMRC

Thanks for getting involved,

Marie, Hannah, Johnny, David, Becky, Cian and the 38 Degrees team

NOTES
[1] See for example:
BBC: MPs attack HMRC's 'cosy' deals with big business http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16264706
Guardian: HMRC hid 'sweetheart' tax deals for big business, MPs say http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/dec/20/inland-revenue-sweetheart-tax-deals
Mirror: MPs blast tax chief for 'cosy deals with big firms' http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/2011/12/20/mps-blast-tax-chief-for-cosy-deals-with-big-firms-115875-23648120/
Channel 4 news: HMRC "bent rules" for big firms http://www.channel4.com/news/hmrc-accused-of-bending-the-rules-for-big-firms
Metro: HM Revenue and Customs 'hiding corporations' unpaid tax worth £25bn' http://www.metro.co.uk/news/885402-hm-revenue-and-customs-hiding-corporations-unpaid-tax-worth-25bn
Scotsman: Taxman ‘helped big business avoid bills and cost public purse millions’ http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/taxman_helped_big_business_avoid_bills_and_cost_public_purse_millions_1_2016580
[2] Daily Mail Big firms let off £25BILLION in taxes: As families are chased for every penny, corporate giants dodge their massive bills. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076358/HMRC-let-big-firms-25bn-taxes-As-families-chased-penny.html
[3] Read more on the blog here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2011/11/18/october-member-poll-results-now-in-2/
[4] You can read more here: https://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange/posts/135899983188885

Unsubscribe: If you no longer wish to be part of our movement and receive our emails you can unsubscribe here.
This email was sent to dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk.
38 DEGREES Registered Company No. 6642193