[P2P-F] What is a fair economic system to you?

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 10:54:21 CET 2011

Yes, these three suit me.

I would perhaps also like to add, regarding the minimum rule - basic income
-,
that it not be measured monetarily, as speculation could devaluate /
evaporate its value.

So instead, have the minimum income ( above an individual's vital needs )
be measured in a variety of units corresponding to ( locally produced ) :

- minimum access to water , both drinkable and non-drinkable.
- minimum access to basic food income : with a variety of units in terms of
food calories intake, access to nutrition diversity and quality
- healthcare
- minimum access to housing : amount of square meters, quality of the
housing, ...
- access to heating ( of water, of the housing )
- access to minimum income in energy units ( at least electricity )
- generalized access to internet, with a minimum bandwidth ( sufficient to
upload or download medium quality definition videos in streaming )

////

Regarding the Jubilee :

Historically, if I remember properly, the jubilee seemed to be decided by
the king/queen - as all initial debt was contracted to them -
forms of money such as tally sticks<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick>,
as far as I understand, at that time was "spent" into circulation, and
demand for such money was initially created through the possibility to pay
one's taxes with it ?

In a larger, more complex system, with a variety of currencies ( at least
for the currencies which emanate out of contracts ? ), I imagine that
having a free transparent market with a diversity of currencies could
enable local economic networks to form themselves and choose their
preferred mixture of currency usage.   Ideally, some of these currencies
would include a Jubilee.  Ideally it would be the ones spent into
circulation and on which some form of tax ( or membership fee ) could be
paid with.

If governments do not cover externalities anymore, I could imagine that
forms of organization such as cooperative networks could, and that a
membership fee and other payments such as a form of use value insurance
could be paid with such alternative cooperative network currency.

////

Regarding Cooperatives,
if most of the production can be local, and "sold"/allocated locally,
to its members, hence also to the active producers of the cooperative,
I would imagine there could be an additional incentive to create quality
products.

I could imagine that a part of the production could be sold for another
type of currency,
such as euros, enabling trade for certain products or resources the local
economic network of cooperatives may not be able to produce,
or more ideally, to invest in production technologies and further increase
autonomy of the interdependent economic network.

Actually, this is why I would like to use a "Transaction Graph" approach,
explained below...

////

Regarding Netention,
I will in a separate mail put you in touch with one of its main developers.

Dear Apostolis, I am not a programmer, yet I am interested in the approach
you intend to take, or the work you may have already done in trying to
program a certain tool.

A brief description of Netention, as I understand it, and in addition to
the pdf presentation on http://www.automenta.com/netention :

I see it as a way for agents ( individuals, or other entities ) to express
their current and future desired needs,
and then enable to match them within a network as to create
interdependencies based on their choices.

A kind of emergent decision making tool.

I would like to use a netention graph approach,
for what I tend to call "transaction graphs"
http://sharewiki.org/en/Transaction_Graphs
( transaction graphs is not necessarily netention, but I would like to use
it in such way )

Which could for example make it possible for agents ( any person, or a
construction/legal entity ) to express the needs of a project,
enable others, as in crowdfunding, to express their support for such
project,

by expressing its relation to one of their personal needs, or by expressing
a possible interdependent approach in which such project can support other
projects and individuals needs,

by contributing in making explicit the needs related to such project,

by expressing a willingness to support based on expressed needs - either
inconditionally, either conditionally.

Conditional offers for support can for example be connected to expressed
personal needs,
such as, in reply to a tuition project, one could answer as conditional
offer : "I can provide tuition for 10 children if I am provided with a room
to live and some food".

Hence such approach in effect can create and use a variety of currency
architectures, without necessarily creating a dependency on a monetary
monopoly, yet being able to include it in such graphed approach of
expressed inter-dependencies.

Once that the needs and offers are expressed, a query can be used,
eventually there can be an automatic suggested matching, from which
individual users can choose preferred suggestions from ( using also other
metadata for choice, such as geolocation - distance metadata )

Once these are chosen, a contract confirmation of engagement can be set,
based on the various metadata ( type of resource, timing, etc ) being
included.

In some cases, contracts can be more complex - and can require a certain
pledging for a variety of needs being fulfilled.