[P2P-F] Fwd: The dangers of ACTA

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:02:01 CET 2011

text in fwd msg below also available on

http://henrikalexandersson.blogspot.com/2011/12/acta-avtalet-nu-borjar-striden.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: D
Date: Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM
Subject: [fyeg_gen-l] The dangers of ACTA
To: discussion listes jeunesverts org <discussion at listes.jeunesverts.org>,
FYEG General List <fyeg_gen-l at listi.jpberlin.de>

Hi there!

please find below a clear message on ACTA, with 2 notes (in French and
English) that could be really useful for everyone in order to get to know
what the heck is ACTA...and why we should refuse it.

Best,
DD

///

I am Francois Pellegrini, professor in computer
science at the University of Bordeaux. As a side
matter of interest, I study the economic, legal
and societal impacts of information technologies.
Hence, I am quite interested in regulations that
impact the creation and use of information goods.

I write you, with a feeling of emergency, regarding
the ACTA ("Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement")
treaty, in which the EU is planned to take part.

This is *not* yet another trade agreement. It has
been negotiated in secret, while it imposes a new
regime of criminal sanctions for a whole set of
alleged offenses. Not quite usual for a "commercial"
treaty.

The broadness of its scope makes it a danger for
the freedoms of trade, of innovation, of expression
and of entrepreneurship, all subjects that are at
the heart of European policies.

By outrageously favouring the attorney lobbies and
rent-seeking monopolies over the real economy, this
treaty would in fact result in job losses and would
globally hinder the economy, in addition to giving
unbearable blows to freedom of expression and access
to medicines.

Did you know that decision to authorise the signing
of ACTA is on the agenda of today's Foreign Affairs
Council meeting on trade issues in Geneva, as last
item? [1]

Did you know that the Mexican Senate voted a resolution
to urge its government not to sign ACTA? [2]

Did you know that the Legal service of the EP refused
to disclose parts of its opinion on ACTA, arguing
that: "‘[...] Disclosure of the parts of the legal
opinion under consideration dealing with questions
1, 2 and 3 [e.g. on the legal basis for adopting ACTA]
would seriously interfere with the complex ratification
procedures of the ACTA agreement [...], as it might
prejudice the ratification procedures by these
countries'"? [3]

Indeed, how can its ratification be prejudiced by a
legal analysis if the clauses of the treaty are as
legally sound as they are claimed to be? Yet, a
study made for INTA recommended rejection, on the
grounds of incompatibility with the "acquis
communautaire".

I tried to sum up in a note some arguments related to
ACTA, in order to give an overview of its bases and
dangers. Please find it attached, both in English and
in French.

Hoping that you will take part in the rejection
of such an outdated and detrimental text,

Very sincerely,

                               f.p.

[1] http://www.consilium.europa.eu/ueDocs/cms_Data/docs/pressData/EN/foraff
/126900.pdf<http://www.consilium.europa.eu/ueDocs/cms_Data/docs/pressData/EN/foraff/126900.pdf>