[P2P-F] Ordoliberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Dec 7 10:01:18 CET 2011

my own take is that a peer to peer economy reverses the equilibrium between
competition and cooperation.

In capitalism, competition is primary and cooperation happens within the
cooperating entities, although mostly in hierarchical ways\

in a commons oriented society, the cooperation within the context of a
commons is primary, and competition, between market (but not capitalist)
and non-market entities (say between joomla and drupal), happens within
that context of cooperation

marvin brown makes the crucial point in civilising the economy that it is
the citizenry that decides on provisioning systems, which may, or may not,
involve market mechanisms

ows is a good example, the general assembly decided on food provisioning,
through vermont organic farmers, which provided for free, but in order to
preserve the livelyhoods of the food vendors, decided on fundraising to buy
from the vendors

whether to use a market or non-market mechanism is secondary to the
necessity of having a system which guarantees social reproduction ... (the
vermont organic farmers would not be able to socially reproduce their own
activities if giving away without reciprocity were there only activity)