[P2P-F] Fwd: genetic diversity or genetic engineering

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Aug 14 05:50:28 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Braden <d-braden at comcast.net>
Date: Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM
Subject: genetic diversity or genetic engineering

If you want to make money in agriculture, then, you must discover something
patentable and convince the rest of us that buying from you is better than
just doing it the old way. The feed back loop is that, since that is were
the money is, that is the option that gets advertised, and the rest of us
come to believe that is the best alternative. The only problem is that it
reduces genetic diversity in the system . . . making the system vulnerable
to things like new plant diseases and pesticide resistance.

Our society as a whole is better off if we understand the value of genetic
diversity. Sustainability will require it. The money in not buying into the
chemical agricultural paradigm is the money you can save by letting nature
perform those functions. But more importantly, genetic diversity means that
each element of the system has multiple ways to respond to any given change.
Hopefully, some of those responses will be successful . . . or that element
goes extinct . . . and that is what makes the system resilient.

One step that we can all take toward sustainability is to

*STOP SPREADING POISONS*

If you have any influence with people who still believe the marketing on
pesticides, use it to explain that point. The creature eating your plants is
not a pest. It is food for the creature who wants to protect your plants.
You cannot have lady beetles unless you grow aphids for them to eat and, if
you have lady beetles, the aphids will not be a problem for your plants.
That is just the way it works. Poisons are never a good idea because they
reduce the genetic diversity of a place.

Please join the discussion

http://transitioninaction.com/**group/whole_person_paradigm/**
forum/topics/start-the-**collaboration<http://transitioninaction.com/group/whole_person_paradigm/forum/topics/start-the-collaboration>

http://transitioncolorado.**ning.com/group/**frontrangegardeners/forum/**