[P2P-F] Eleven Key Structural Problems from Chapter 8.doc (chris.macrae at yahoo.co.uk)

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Aug 2 14:05:38 CEST 2011

*Eleven Key Structural Problems from Chapter 8, A Users Guide to the Crisis
of Civilisation, Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed, Pluto Press, 2010. *

*1. Key Structural Problem:** The dispossession of labour - the separation
of the majority of the population from access to the means of subsistence;
the ownership of the means of production - productive resources and the
technologies to extract and exploit them - by an elite minority.*

* *

*2. Key Structural Problem**: The globalization of capitalist social
relations ­the total domination of the world's productive resources by a
minority, and the corresponding worldwide dispossession of labour. *

* *

*3. Key Structural Problem**: Cyclical generation of socio-economic crises
of over-accumulation and underproduction (‘boom and bust'); which
exacerbates inequalities between historically advantaged core capitalist
states and labour peripheral states relegated to being suppliers of cheap
raw materials and labour, and markets for core agricultural (and other)
exports. *

* *

*4. Key Structural Problem:** The capitalist social relation's pressure to
exploit ever larger quantities of the world's natural resources for
production for profit, on an ever expanding geographical scale that will
soon be beyond the  natural world's ability to self-replenish. *

* *

*5. Key Structural Problem:** The systemic over-dependence on hydrocarbon
resources for industrial production, sustained by an international division
of labour designed not to meet the needs of local populations, but purely to
maximize profits for primarily Northern banks, corporations and governments.
*

* *

*6. Key Structural Problem:** The world monetary system is based on
fractional reserve banking - that is, the creation of fiat money as credit
at interest ­ which serves to subjugate the population to an enlarging and
un-repayable debt that is  the basis of self-reproducing profits for banks;
and which compounds the imperative for unlimited growth through
unconstrained exploitation of natural resources. *

* *

*7. Key Structural Problem:** Computational finance effectively transformed
the banking system's ability to create fiat debt-money through the
development of fraudulent quantitative models concealing ballooning levels
of risk, making possible the creation of exorbitant profits virtually ex
nihilo - but the costs were socialized and backlogged until the banking
system collapsed under the weight of its own un-sustainability.*

* *

*8. Key Structural Problem:** Nation-states and national identity, as the
primary loci of 'legitimate' political representation, are increasingly
detrimental both in terms of their negative impact on democracy, and the
categories by which human social groups ascribe identities to themselves.
While current forms of representative democracy are increasingly susceptible
to erosion and manipulation by nondemocratic military-financial forces,
ethnic and national markers of difference can increasingly be exploited to
polarize communities and legitimize political violence against the 'Other'.
*

* *

*9. Key Structural Problem:** Global governance institutions are mobilized
primarily as mechanisms for the US to regulate the international system in
its own interests, rather than the interests of the majority of the system's
members. Calls to reform these institutions (such as to make the UN more
democratic, or to make the World Bank more transparent) have therefore
consistently failed. *

* *

*10. Key Structural Problem:** The implicit philosophical and ontological
assumptions underlying neoliberal capitalism posit an extreme form of
materialism, reducing the world to a collection of physical, disconnected,
atomistic, self-interested and thus inherently conflictual units. These
assumptions are clearly mistaken, as they implicitly shape a global
political economy that is simultaneously destroying itself and the natural
world. *

* *

*11. Key Structural Problem:** Neoliberal capitalism is premised on a
materialist value system which penetrates the entirety of human life,
commodifying everything from human life to the natural world in the service
of maximizing a 'good' defined largely in terms of material consumption. Yet
this ethical system is responsible not only for the escalation of multiple
global crises, but simultaneously for high levels of psychological illness
and distress among neoliberal capitalist nations. It is therefore a value
system divorced from reality, incommensurate with human nature and the
natural world. *