[P2P-F] the logic of rating nonprofits

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 05:37:01 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM
Subject: Fwd: [GiftEconomy] 'Emerges'? How about 're-emerges'?
To: econowmix at googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tereza
Date: Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [GiftEconomy] 'Emerges'? How about 're-emerges'?
To: dante.monson at gmail.com
Cc: Duane
gifteconomy at lists.gifteconomy.org

Hi, Dante

I'll answer these one at a time, since there's so much here. The critic at
allthatiswrong has his head in the sand (or someplace darker) when it comes
to nonprofits. The goal of every 501c3 is to get other people to pay for its
own operations. In order to be a legal nonprofit you have to show that
you're getting the majority of your money donated by other people for your
stated mission... period. Like Wikipedia, if running an advertising-free,
no-fee website is couch surfing's mission, they *should* be paying for
salaries and all the things they are.

On Charity Navigator's rating system, this is what I wrote in one of
my show<http://thirdparadigm.org/3p_055.php>
s:

Their first measures are the amounts spent on programs vs. administration
and fundraising, based on the charity's own tax reporting. If they call 10%
or less of their expenses administration, they get a 10, *even if 100% of
their overseas aid ends up in the pockets of US employees or corporations*.
Then, if their fundraising brings in 10 dollars for every dollar spent, they
get another 10. Commissioned telemarketers are good for this, or the trick
of putting a nickel, a packet of seeds, an angel medallion, or a stamped
return envelope in direct mail solicitations. They know how hard it is for
us to throw out something useful rather than sending it back with a
donation. Thirdly, there's what they call "capacity" – if an organization
keeps over $250 million or one year's operating expenses in the bank, they
get another automatic 10. They write:
 Givers should know that other independent evaluators of charities tend not
to measure a charity's capacity. Indeed, charities that maintain large
reserves of assets or working capital are occasionally penalized by other
evaluators. In our view, a charity's capacity is just as important as its
efficiency. By showing growth and stability, charities demonstrate greater
fiscal responsibility, not less, for those are the charities that will
continue pursuing change in the future and will generate both short- and
long-term results for every dollar they receive from givers.
source<http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=35>

Then, their final measure is growth. To quote:
For charities, growth means first, increasing their primary revenue, which
includes contributions from corporations, foundations, individuals, and
government grants; program service revenue, contracts and fees; and revenue
from membership dues and fees. Second, growth means growing their programs
and services. Organizations that demonstrate consistent annual growth in
both primary revenue and program expenses are able to outpace inflation and
thus sustain their programs year to year.
source<http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=35>

So charities have to continually bring in more money year to year in order
to get a good rating. No wonder the charities I support don't rank. They'd
be mortified to have a year's operating expenses sitting idle when it could
make the difference for people resisting a military coup. My advocacy groups
live hand to mouth. But Charity Navigator doesn't rate salaries, perks, and
bonuses. They don't look at how much overseas aid actually stays in the US.
Transportation costs aren't factored in, or amounts that come from and end
up in the hands of corporations. After looking at how they determine their
rating system, I think I might take the inverse of it as a good sign.
It also seems that the critic is wrong about the $90K the founder is making.
In the 2009 report he separates executive pay from the rest and it's about
$30,000 - not much for running an over $1M nonprofit.

But you may be hinting at, Dante, the economic model that I'm trying to
pioneer, which I call ChariTrade. In this model, services and goods are
given freely and donations to global charities are given freely back.
Usually these are in the form of checks written directly to the charity but
given to the provider of the service to bundle and forward to the charity.

I run as a for-profit business so that I can deduct my expenses - so that
I'm not paying taxes in addition to donating my time and my money for
supplies and equipment. I pay income taxes on all the cash that comes in but
I deduct the checks I write to the charities from my personal income. Since
most of the donations come in as checks to the charities, I always operate
at a loss. That way the giver can deduct their donation directly and I can
deduct my expenses, diverting this money away from the corporate war fund
and towards the causes we wish our tax dollars went to.

As step 2 of this plan I'd like to issue a ChariTrade Ten for every $50
donated, which would circulate in the local economy at a variable value
depending on what it's used for. For locally-grown food, groceries, coffee
shops or bookstores, it would be worth $10, locally-made goods would be $20,
services would be $30, and education would be $40. So those who want to get
a UniverseCity education would be motivated to offer services, goods, and
food in order to get ChTr10's to pay for schooling.

So this would enable sharing at the local level while supporting the global
community that's working with people and nature against the impacts of money
and corporatization.

Tereza