[P2P-F] Fwd: New answer to "Are complementary currencies a likely remedy for economic problems?"

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 11:24:48 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Quora <noreply at quora.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Subject: New answer to "Are complementary currencies a likely remedy for
economic problems?"
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

  [image: Quora]  New answer to "Are complementary currencies a likely
remedy for economic problems?"
*Liz McLellan*:
Terrence - That is a really interesting point. I am in rural Eastern Oregon
in a very small town less than 300 people, hit very hard by the down turn.
We are looking at time banks, local currency and other strategies to bolster
our resilience. In our discussions we keep having to process very deep trust
issues which we all bring to the group having been so roughly handled out in
"the free market." And yes, I keep finding myself repeating - "The currency
won't solve what is essentially a social problem, how we treat, see and
relate to each other. We all understand the functional aspect of currency
but what we are beginning to understand is the fact that it has no "magic
healing properties."

In a small town no one needs to explain reputation economics. It is how my
new home works. As we work on this new way of doing things the most
important thing we are doing is working together, getting to know each other
and finding out where we are strong and reliable and where we need to
reweave the threads...the currency and timebanks are, as I am coming to see,
a way to write the rules that suit us better but also a way to talk about
what was not working before.

It is not a replacement but a layer of flexibility for all of us...

*To see the question page with all answers, visit:
http://www.quora.com/l/E7YHT3KE*

Thanks,
The Quora Team

We sent you this email because you are following this question. To stop
following it, click this link:
http://www.quora.com/l/ZNRhNwCs/_STOP_FOLLOWING

To control which emails we send you, visit: http://www.quora.com/l/iYYoNOnm

This email was sent by Quora, a continually improving collection of
questions and answers created, edited, and organized by everyone who uses
it. To disable all email from Quora, visit the following link:
http://www.quora.com/l/TqpCpcvd