[P2P-F] Fwd: [P2P-URBANISM WA] Re: WECREATE: 1st Neurochemically Primed Innovation Space NYC

Michael Mehaffy michael.mehaffy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:42:27 CEST 2011

Hello Araceli,

Thanks again for the contact, and the response.  I would say also that I at
least (and I won't presume to speak for anyone else) am not at all
interested in any ideological position of correctness, or design theology.
 But among my colleagues and others today, I see three general positions in
this area.  So I'd like to state those clearly so we can each understand
"where we are coming from" as they say.

One position is that of those folks who are in fact *ex cathedra* about
various theories and doctrines.  A lot of my fellow architects in the past
have been of that ilk, as well as other designers.  They have their
"schtick," their story, and they are sticking to it...

A second position is what a number of natural scientists have called
"critical realism," the notion that we have working propositions about how
the world works, and some are in fact more correct than others -- or, more
precisely, they add important contributions to a more accurate (meaning more
reliably useful) understanding.  Newtonian physics is no so much wrong, as
an incomplete model, a partial version of reality, which is supplemented
very usefully with relativity and quantum physics.  (Very usefully in the
sense that we now have electronics and nuclear medicine and a host of other
things - and some complications too, of course.)

A third position is what I might define as "poststructuralist epistemology"
- that is, we must avoid any hint of foundationalism, and embrace a Kantian
kind of relativism of knowledge, understandign it as a culturally
constructed narrative outside of any separate notion (or even hyposthesis)
of "meaning."  As Derrida said, "there is nothing outside the text."

In this view, Newtonian physics is a mere paradigm,  to be replaced with
another paradigm -- not more or less right, because there is no external
frame of reference to judge that, but simply a successional construction of
the culture.

The trouble with this view, to put it simply, is that therefore I quite
literally don't know what they mean!  They themselves have, in their own
explicit epistemology, taken away any possibility of a sharable meaning,
apart from my construction, your construction, his or her construction.  If
we happen to decide to share our meanings, great -- a kind of Desiderata
philosophy, "if we find each other, it's beautiful."  Otherwise, full-on
epistemological relativism is the rule of the day.  (And as we see with the
extreme post-Kuhnnian view of science, it even affects ontology too.)

Functionally, this is a big problem.  It's in fact a colossally conservative
position, a laissez-faire position. (As Habermas famously made clear to
Derrida and others, much to their annoyance - because the fashionable
self-identification is anything but.  But as Habermas argued, logic is still
logic...)

The reason this matters so much, and why I mention it early in this
discussion, is that it is a colossally powerful idea today in the design
world, and the world of the arts in general. It is not taken seriously by
most scientists, for reasons I suggest above, but architects, literary
people, etc. - bring it on. Why?  It's an enticing solution to the vexing
failures of a more linear, modernist regime that has clearly failed.  It
offers a kind of "artistic blank check" to do whatever.  It offers loopholes
one can drive a truck through -- "let us have diversity" (which I am all
for, but this is not the same thing as relativism); "let us be open-minded;"
"let us earnestly take on all manner of serious problems, like climate
change, and make narratives about them, artistic nods to them - a kind of
magical thinking - but at the end of the day, let us assure that these small
experiments all add up to nothing of any real consequence!

If I were paranoid, and thought various special interests were capable of
engineering such a philosophy to keep these people docile and ineffective -
perhaps even pliant tools, allowing them to go on making lots of money
depleting the commons and its natural capital - "let them have their absurd,
self-eviscerating ideas" - well, they could hardly do better!

(p.s. I copy some material from Rem Koolhaas below, who I think expresses
this perspective very well indeed, together with its results -- abotu which
he wrings his hands with the best of them. As does Peter Eisenman, and
others... But woe is us, nothing is to be done... so let's just have a
rollicking good time!)

So I go into such discussions always wary of this problem, because it is so
dominant in the design world today.  And this is why I think the P2P
Foundation is so exciting - it suggests that we CAN build something more
effective, more resilient, just as collective intelligence has functioned in
the past so effectively.  (Science itself is one important for of such a
collective intelligence...)

By the way, I would agree with your Einstein quote that imagination is more
important than knowledge, when it comes to the cutting edge of science --
and of understanding reality.  But not imagination set* loose* from hard-won
knowledge!  We have been down that failed Utopian road too many times
before...

Cheers, m

>From Koolhaas, "Whatever happened to urbanism?"
http://www.princeclausfund.nl/urbanheroes/abert/texto4.htm

Modernism's alchemistic promise – to transform quantity into quality through
abstraction and repetition – has been a failure, a hoax: magic that didn't
work. Its ideas, aesthetics, strategies are finished. Together, all attempts
to make a new beginning have only discredited the idea of a new beginning. A
collective shame in the wake of this fiasco has left a massive crater in our
understanding of modernity and modernization....

Since it is out of control, the urban is about to become a major vector of
the imagination. Redefined, urbanism will not only, or mostly, be a
profession, but a way of thinking, an ideology: to accept what exists. We
were making sand castles. Now we swim in the sea that swept them away...

The seeming failure of the urban offers an exceptional opportunity, a
pretext for Nietzschean frivolity. We have to imagine 1,001 other concepts
of city; we have to take insane risks; we have to dare to be utterly
uncritical; we have to swallow deeply and bestow forgiveness left and right.
The certainty of failure has to be our laughing gas/oxygen; modernization
our most potent drug. Since we are not responsible, we have to become
irresponsible. In a landscape of increasing expediency and impermanence,
urbanism no longer is or has to be the most solemn of our decisions;
urbanism can lighten up, become a *Gay Science *– Lite Urbanism.

Woo-hoo - Par-tee!  (Mehaffy editorial comment!)

>From Koolhaas, interview in Architecture Week
http://www.architectureweek.com/2007/0801/design_1-2.html

 The work we do is no longer mutually reinforcing, but I would say that any
accumulation is counterproductive, to the point that each new addition
reduces the sum's value.  In addition, we of course work enthusiastically
for clients we readily describe as tyrants and occupiers. So there are many
problems, first of all our work, which is not able to find its way out of
this recurring dilemma, then there are the many reasons to question our
sincerity and motives...

It is not always clear whether we are using our position to engage in an
intellectual discourse or an incredible ego free-for-all...

(MM) Well, I give him high marks for honesty!