[P2P-F] [P2P-URBANISM WA] Re: WECREATE: 1st Neurochemically Primed Innovation Space NYC

Michael Mehaffy michael.mehaffy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:16:53 CEST 2011

Dear All,

I for one welcome the interest, and personally I do not find the proposal
"scary" -- but I do have a concern that it may reflect a fairly linear,
"mechanical" approach to technology.  That's not to single out this
proposal, as such  linear approaches are still common in the design world
today, and I think we still have many hard questions to ask -- so I welcome
such a critical exploration.   What I would say in initial response is that
I think we are really learning from biological sciences that there is a much
more "joined up" approach to achieving resilience than we have yet
considered, and than we are likely to find with narrow mechanical
"wheel-reinventing" approaches. (I cannot judge this proposals specifically,
except to say it seems to have some of those traits.) I think that is always
the danger with explorations of topics such as neuroscience, which can
otherwise be incredibly beneficial.  There is the tool, and then there is
always the question of how we use it!

Best, m

Michael Mehaffy
Visiting Faculty, ASU