[P2P-F] does urban farming make sense?

Evangelos Vafeiadis vagvaf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:12:04 CEST 2011

Hello all,

given the current condition of urban environment (mainly air pollution) i'm
not sure how healthy would it be to grow food in big cities. for smaller
cities, where the air pollution is not a problem, people can grow food on
the rooftops of their houses <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_roof>. Thus
"wasted" space becomes useful again.

On the other hand, if ever cities try to adopt Transit Oriented
Development<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit-oriented_development>and
more specifically Crawford's
topological model <http://www.carfree.com/draw/clover.gif> for car-free
cities, a lot of space will be created for agriculture in the centre of
those "lobes".

Moreover, Von Thunen<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Heinrich_von_Th%C3%BCnen>'s
model talks about accessibility and land prices and is drawing heavily from
Adam Smith's ideas while treating the city as monocentric. Currently, cities
are conceptualized as being polycentric and discussions have started about
network cities. In our search for the future city, I'm not sure how relevant
are Von Thunen's ideas anymore.