[P2P-F] Fwd: Writings and P2P, urgent to print chapter 1

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:58:43 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: john sobol <john at johnsobol.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:00 AM
Subject: Writings and P2P
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Dear Michel,

thank you for the kind note below and for the invitation to collaborate in
some way on a publishing project. I have been quite interested in this
possibility since receiving your email and I apologize for not having
responded sooner. Although it is true I have been busy that is not much of
an excuse. The real reason for my procrastination has been my confusion over
what exactly I want to be publishing. I have not really got it sorted out
even now, but anything is better than nothing at all so here I am with a
somewhat scattered response...

A few quick thoughts:

- I have attached the manuscript that I mentioned to you, but when I look at
it I am almost embarrassed by how much of it is drawn from the iDC list. I
know that most people will not have read those posts so I probably shouldn't
be concerned, but I also know you have so it feels a little self-indulgent.
Anyway, for what it's worth here it is. At the moment it is called I Scream
You Scream We All Scream for I Scream. Make of it what you will. I am keen
to hear any and all feedback. As far as publishing it with your foundation,
if you happened to think it was a good idea I'd be open to that for sure. At
this point I'd just like to get these ideas out there.

- As I think I mentioned before, I had been wanting to put together a more
coherent and easy to follow book but and to some extent put the above one
together because I didn't have the time to do a whole new one. Having said
that, I have begun writing some chapters of the new book since I last wrote
to you, and though I still don't have time to write the whole thing in one
shot, it might be possible for me to crank out chapters like these as
essays. I could imagine - if you happen to find them worthy - publishing
them on the P2P foundation blog as a series and then eventually assembling
them into a book. There are three chapters attached (they still need some
tweaking but you will get the idea) I am working on a 4th about Museums,
with others to follow on various topics such as Democracy, Branding, Music,
Human Resources, etc. They are all basically surveys that are not designed
to be comprehensive so much as to popularize a certain way of seeing
contemporary culture and cultural issues, and to show how my
oral/literate/digital framework applies to and sheds light on all aspects of
society.

- Lastly, I was wondering - if you have time to think about this given the
amount of material I am sending your way - if you would have any comments on
a business plan that I have developed and that I am actively looking to
implement these days. In fact I quit my job in order to do this and am
determined to make it happen. However, I am hampered by lack of capital. (I
have discovered that it takes money in hand to get investors to take you
seriously. An unfortunate Catch-22) At the moment the business model itself
is fairly traditional - although the context is very radical and innovative
(and of course creative!). And quite frankly I am doing this in part to make
a bunch of money, since I have none and am tired of not having any, and have
a family etc. But I am not totally crazy about that business model even
though I think it will be very successful, inasmuch as it is essentially
very capitalist. I would be open to other suggestions about ways of
proceeding, both in terms of attracting the modest investment capital and/or
human resources to bring it to life, and how it might function as an
economy, if you have any. I have considered starting it as a non-profit, and
I may still do that, but I have been dealing with non-profits in the arts
for most of my adult life and am basically tired of them. I'd kind of like
to make a lot of money so I can do what I want after creatively without
having to answer to anyone. Anyway, I know that you are deeply immersed in
new economic ideas so you might have some thoughts on my plans, which would
be welcome. My only request is that you not circulate the info I am
attaching to anyone. Thank you. The business is called The Media League. I
won't send you the whole prospectus but I will attach a diagram explaining
the business model and a brochure describing how it will work. Again, all
comments welcome...

Michel, I see from your posts on facebook how busy you are so I will
understand if you have little time to invest in all of this. But I respect
your opinion and integrity so would welcome any feedback that you do have.

Best wishes,
John Sobol