[P2P-F] Fwd: Green Digital Fabrication event in Ireland, possibly May Day 2011 (i.e. next month)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:56:54 CEST 2011

will be in dublin around that time as well,

From: Vinay Gupta (Hexayurt Shelter Project) <hexayurt at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:52 PM
Subject: Green Digital Fabrication event in Ireland, possibly May Day 2011
(i.e. next month)
To: Smari McCarthy <smari at immi.is>, Phoebe <pvm.doc at gmail.com>, Anu <
narnua at gmail.com>, Eleanor Saitta <ella at dymaxion.org>, Arthur Doohan <
arthur.doohan at gmail.com>, dougald hine <writetodougald at gmail.com>, Michel
Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, pat kane <playethical at gmail.com>,
alan.patrick at broadsight.com, indy.johar at gmail.com, alice <
Alice at research00.net>

All,

As you know (and, yes, I *know* this is April 1st, but this is *NOT* -
repeat *NOT* an April 1st gag) I've recently got involved with the
Cloughjordan Ecovillage (http://thevillage.ie) which is *NOT* repeat
*NOT* a containment facility for political prisoners being kicked out
of the British civil-service-military-big-society-complex* regardless
of how much the place occasionally resembles Portmerion designed by
Salvador Dali. (this is a reference to the British TV show, "The
Prisoner.")

Onwards, to the point.

May 1st, or there abouts, there's talk of a substantial
meeting-of-minds in Dublin to discuss the potential for three things:

1> Putting a fab-lab type facility (similar tooling, possibly
different goals) at http://thevillage.ie
2> Discussing the interface between their deep green (i.e. they don't
like you to use concrete in building your house if you can avoid it)
values and digital fabrication
3> Putting Cloughjordan on the map at a cultural level in Europe, as
they've actually come a hell of a long way in the past two years, and
are potentially going to be quite important in setting cultural
direction in Ireland as the shit hits the fan financially in the
country this year.

As a guidepost on that, homes which were standing empty at 250,000 EUR
for several years are now on the market at 70,000 EUR. That's new in
the past two months, as the consensus that the old valuations will
return in the distant future cracks and people begin to accept that
Something New Is Happening.

The venue will be http://cultivate.ie, the date is still somewhat
fluid, and I'm basically giving you a brief heads-up and "consider
saving the date" now, with all details up in the air and to be
decided.

NOT, repeat NOT an April Fool's. I just wasn't going to wait until
Monday to send this.

Vinay

* The Industrial part of Britain's former Military-Industrial-Imperial
complex was shut down in the cuts of 1986

--
Vinay Gupta
Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest

http://hexayurt.com - free/open next generation human sheltering
http://hexayurt.com/plan - the whole systems, big picture vision

"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an
invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Twitter/Skype/Gizmo/Gtalk/AIM: hexayurt
UK Cell : +44 (0) 7500 895568 / USA VOIP (+1) 775-743-1851