[Centre] Centre: near final draft

Volker Grassmuck vgrass at rz.hu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 8 13:49:46 CEST 2011

Dear all,

everything is coming together nicely, analytical foundation, theory and practice, costings and an impressive list of partners, although "we have received preliminary support from” is risky if one of the readers is well connected with some of them and checks whether they have actually given preliminary support.

Small, mostly cosmetic changes in the text, mostly included in previous ver (11-09-06_southampton copyright drafts-v3.0sc_vg.doc) but lost along the way.

Some more comments here:

Am 07.09.2011 um 14:40 schrieb Cubitt S.R.:

> I'm not sure how to process the two new comments:
> Text: Copyright is commonly held to provide
> incentives for authors and artists to create and for publishers
> to identify and promote new talent and creative works.
>
> comment: "Ok, I come from droit dŒauteur but to my understanding authors
> are not entirely irrelevant in copyright either."
>
> Doesn't the text already include them? (The sentence is basically one sent
> by Ed Steinmueller, if I remember)

Well, authors were included after I put them there. But the edit was lost. Saying that copyright is there to incentivize publishers is wrong even in anglo-american copyright. Please, we need the authors here. See suggestion in text.

> And your comment on prpgramme 4: this had a big edit overnight after
> inputs form Ed and Gerhard: You say "HargreavesΠDigital Copyright
> Exchange isnŒt primarily about CC & GPL, isnŒt it?" - does the new text
> avoid your problem?

It now reads: "Would a return to deposit in a national library, including detailed information concerning licensing, costs, and agents, open competition between copyright and alternative licensing?"

GPL & CC are not competing with nor alternatives to copyright. They are a form of exercising copyrights. The debate about global rights repositories, Hargreaves’ Digital Copyright Exchange and reintroducing formalities is not driven by CC but by the needs of the regular rights trade. See suggestion in text.

"The coincidence of digital transformation with a shift from public subsidy to IP-driven creative economies constitutes a large-scale, real-time experiment.”
Privatization and phasing out public support for arts and culture is a very specific, i.e. neoliberal experiment. I don’t think we should make this particular political vision our own as a premise for the work of the Centre, which should equally take the public interest into consideration. See suggestion in text.

"disparate models, including Creative Commons and Copyleft, have rarely been subjected to longitudinal analysis.”
Very important point indeed. CC two years after its start noticed that they had missed the chance of accompanying research or even of keeping log files. But: The two terms are of different categories, CC is a concrete model while Copyleft is a general principle. Therefore I think it would be better to mention two other concrete models that might grow to have a similar impact but currently lack research: Kickstarter and Flattr. See suggestion in text.

Just out of curiosity: In UK English „Prof.” gets a point, „Dr” doesn’t?

A late reply from Bernt Hugenholtz, IvIR Amsterdam, came in, saying they are indirectly involved in a competing bid, so not free to join in this one.

Apologies for late response. Hope this is still in time.

A big Thank You to you, Sean. It’s been a pleasure working on this with all of you, and it would be great if we could build this Centre together. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Best,
Volker