[Centre] draft

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Aug 31 10:52:15 CEST 2011

Dear Sean,

I have not yet read your draft, as you perhaps recall, I was off on a
five-day 'Rethinking property' conference here in bangkok, and am returning
to a 300-mail backlog, but I will get to it either tonight or tomorrow
morning.

but just one quick reaction to sally-jane's asian energies,

2 thinks actually,

you may want to refer first of all the the thriving 'fair-use open-content'
economy, calculated at one-sixth of U.S. GDP, as proof of pudding that
relaxing IP works and creates opportunities (the success of open geospatial
info enterpreneurship in the U.S. vs. closed licensing models in europe
which create only a fraction of that wealth and innovation creation is a
case study)

see
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-open-content-economy-now-reaches-one-sixth-of-u-s-gdp/2011/07/19

second, the Shanzai economy, as an illegal version of open source, based on
communities of shared enterpreneurial coalitions, is huge in China and a key
aspect of its success

see http://p2pfoundation.net/Shanzhai

Not sure if that is mentioned, but the P2P Foundation's is complementary to
the Southampton and the Center through its network of academic researchers
that are uniquely active in the field of IP and innovation ..