[ourproject-public] Ecently described as "an empty space without anything

Mintzer Pebsworth mapper at schanke.net
Sun Sep 26 09:40:26 CEST 2010

Ledown," and Editor of "Ballads of Bairnhood," "Vagabond Songs and
Ballads of Scotland"
Etc., etc. "_Auld rhymes and auld chimes Gar us think on auld times_"
--_Proverb_
[Illustration: JINGO-RING. DRAWN BY KATE T. HILL.] Paisley: Alexander
Gardner Publisher to the late Queen Victoria: 1904 Second Edition
PREFACE. In offering to the public this collection of Children's Rhymes,
Children's Games, Children's Songs, and Children's Stories--the
multitudinous items of which, or such, at least, as were
not living in my own memory, have been gathered with patient industry,
albeit with much genuine delight, from wide and varied sources--I
anticipate for the work a hearty
and general welcome, alike from old and young. It is the first really
sincere effort to collect in anything like ample and exclusive fashion
the _natural literature_ of the children of Scotland, and meets what has
long appealed

to me as decidedly a felt want. The earlier pages are occupied

with a commentary, textually illustrated,

on the generally puerile, but regularly fascinating Rhymes of the
Nursery, the vitality
and universal

use of which have been at once the wonder

and the puzzle of the ages. This is followed in turn by