[ourproject-public] E the waving fronds of the cocoa-nut palms rise in some

Florio focusser at cl.lattitud.com
Mon Aug 31 14:02:57 CEST 2009

Er, we should probably have seen the famous peak. To while away the
time, and by way of a little adventure, I determined at night to climb
the mizen-mast with a fellow-passenger. While leaving the deck I was
chalked by a middy, in token that I was in for my footing, so as to be
free of the mizen-top. I succeeded in reaching it safely, though to a
green hand, as I was, it looks and really feels somewhat perilous at
first. I was sensible of the feeling of fear or apprehension just at the
moment of getting over the cross-trees. Your body hangs over in mid-air,
at a terrible incline backwards, and you have to hold on like anything
for just one moment, until you get your knee up into the top. The view
of the ship under press of canvas from the mizen-top is very grand; and
the phosphorescence in our wake, billow upon billow of light shining
foam, seemed more brilliant than ever. The wind again freshens, and on
the eleventh day we make another fine run of 230 miles. It is becoming
rapidly warmer, and we shall soon be