[Opendesigns-public] {Spam?} Boat and bid us farewell. Then when night came she had

Lingafelter Genao endnote at americanday.nl
Mon Jan 18 23:01:17 CET 2010

R, and she bore him a son.' "The girl's head fell on my shoulder, and
her eyes closed, and she became as dead; and lo! in a little while, as
she strove to speak, blood poured from her mouth and ran down over her
bosom. "'It is the hand of Death,' said Taku the Sailor. * * * * *
"Where she now lies, there died she, at about the hour when the people
of Vaihou saw the sails of thy ship. "We have no priest here, for the
good father that was here three years ago is now silent [i.e. dead]; yet
did Taku and I pray with her. And ere she died she said she would set
down some words on paper; so Alrema, my little daughter, hastened to
Mataveri, and the chief sent back some paper and VAI TUHI (ink) that had
belonged to the good priest. So with weak hand she set down some words,
but even as she wrote she rose up and threw out her hands, and called
out: 'Francisco! Francisco!' and fell back, and was dead." * * * * * IV
The captain of the POCAHONTAS dashed the now fast-falling tears from his
eyes, and with his rough old heart swelling with pity for the poor
wanderer, took from Taku the sheet of paper on which the heart-broken
girl's last words were traced. Ere he could read it a low murmur of
voices outside told him his crew had returned. They carried a rude
wooden shell, and then with bared heads the captain and boatsteerer
entered the house where she lay. Again the old man raised the piece of
navy blue cloth from off the sweet, sad face, and a heavy tear dropped
down upon her forehead. Then, aided by the gentle, sympathetic women,
his task was soon finished, and two of his crew entered and carried
their burden to its grave. Service there was none--only the prayers and
tears of the brown women of Rapa-nui. * * * * * Ere he said farewell the
captain of the whale-ship placed money in the hands of Varua and Taku.
They drew back, hurt and mortified. Seeing his mistake, the seaman
desired Varua to give the money to the girl Temeteri. "Nay, sir," said
Varua, "she would but give me bitte