[Musix-usuarios] Audio 3D para cine hecho con software libre

Hernán Ordiales hordiales en gmail.com
Vie Ene 25 15:52:46 CET 2008

y a mi se me ocurre que también podría ser utilizado en video juegos 3D...

3D audio made with
Clam<http://parumi.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/3d-audio-a-sucess-story-of-clam-usage-and-plugins-development/>
vía Pau Arumi's blog <http://parumi.wordpress.com> de parumi el 24/01/08

While it is true that the clam-devel mailing-list an irc channel have been a
little quiet recently –specially compared with the summer period (well it
was called "summer of code" for a good reason!–, this doesn't mean that we
recently had a low development activity. (Being an open-source project the
commits say it all <http://www.ohloh.net/projects/8306/commits>)

The quietness is related to David <http://vokicodder.blogspot.com/>
and me<http://parumi.org>being now involved with the acoustics group
of the Fundació
Barcelona Media <http://www.barcelonamedia.org>, where we work in a more
traditional –and so less distributed– fashion collaborating with people who
actually sit together. Further, I enjoy very much working with such skilled
and interdisciplinary team (half are physicists and half computer
scientists), and also assessing that Clam <http://clam.iua.upf.edu> is very
useful in these 3D-audio projects. These latest developments on 3D audio
rendering where mostly driven, by the IP-RACINE
<http://www.ipracine.org>European project aiming to enhance the
digital cinema.

The kind of development we do in Clam also changed since last summer.
Instead of improving the general infrastructure (for example the multi-rate
data-flow system or the NetworkEditor) or improving the existing signal
processing algorithms, what we've done is… writing plugins. Among many other
things the new plugins feature a new lightweight spectrum and fft, and
efficient low-latency convolutions.

And this feels good. Not only because the code-compile cycle is sooo fast,
but because it means that the framework infrastructure is sufficiently
mature and its extension mechanisms are very useful in practice. Further,
rewriting the core spectral processing classes allowed us to do a lot of
simplifications in the new code and its dependencies. Therefore, the new
plugins only depends on the infrastructure, which I'd dare to say is the
more polished part of Clam.

And now that IP-RACINE final project demos have been successfully passed, it
is a great time to show some results here.
Flamencos in a virtual loft

Download and watch the video in the preferred format:

   - Low resolution
mp4<http://clam.iua.upf.edu/download/3D_audio/demo_ipracine_stereo_lowres_10surround.mp4>(vidx)
(mp3 audio) 12M
   - *Recommended* High resolution
mp4<http://clam.iua.upf.edu/download/3D_audio/demo_ipracine_stereo_hires_10surround.mp4>(pcm
audio) 42M
   - And for the Apple boys and girls:
ipod<http://clam.iua.upf.edu/download/3D_audio/demo_ipracine_stereo_ipod.m4v>19
M and
   iphone<http://clam.iua.upf.edu/download/3D_audio/demo_ipracine_stereo_iphone.m4v>12M

[image: demo_ipracine_flamencos-small.jpg]

Listen to it carefully through the headphones (yes, it will *only* work with
headphones!) You should be able to hear as if you were actually moving in
the scene, identifying the direction and distance of each source. It is not
made by just automating panning and volumes: but modeling the room so it
takes into account how the sound rebounds into all the surfaces of the room.
This is done with ray-tracing and impulse-responses techniques.

This stereo version has been made using 10 HRTF filters. However, our main
target exhibition set up was 5.0 surround, which gives a better immersive
sensation than the stereo version. So, try it if you have a surround
equipment around:

   - 5 channel wav
file<http://clam.iua.upf.edu/download/3D_audio/surround_wav_boosted.wav>order:
L, R, SL, SR, C

 *Credits: Images rendered by Brainstorm Multimedia and audio rendered by
Barcelona Media*

Well, the flamenco musicians in the video should be real actors. Ah!
Wouldn't have been nice?
What was planned

The IP-Racine final testbed was all about integration work-flows among
different technological partners. All the audio work-flow is very well
explained in this
video<http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-9042693742257898247>(Toni
Mateos speaking, and briefly featuring me playing with NetworkEditor.)

So, one of the project outcomes was this *augmented reality* flamencos video
in a high-definition digital cinema format. To that end a chroma set was set
up (as shows the picture below), and it was to be shoot with a hi-end
prototype video camera with position and zoom tracking. The tracking
meta-data stream fed both the video and audio rendering, which took place in
real-time — all quite impressive!

[image: flamencos_croma-small.jpg]

Unfortunately, at the very last moment a little demon jumped in: the
electric power got unstable for moment and some integrated circuits of the
hi-end camera literally burned.

That's why the flamencos are motionless pictures. Also, in absence of a
camera with position tracking mechanism we choose to freely define the
listener path with a 3D modelling tool.
How we did it

In our approach, a database of pressure and velocities impulse-responses
(IRs) is computed offline for each (architectural) environment using
physically based ray-tracing techniques. During playback, the real-time
system retrieves IRs corresponding to the sources and target positions,
performs a low-latency partitioned convolution and smoothes IR transitions
with cross-fades. Finally, the system is flexible enough to decode to any
surround exhibition setup.

[image: complete-surround-with-crossfade.png]<http://parumi.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/complete-surround-with-crossfade.png>[image:
big_surround_network.png]<http://parumi.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/big_surround_network.png>

The audio rendering (both real-time and offline) is done with Clam, while
the offline IR calculation and 3D navigation are done with other tools.
The big thanks

This work is a collaborative effort, so I'd like to mention all the FBM
acoustics/audio group: Toni Mateos, Adan Garriga, Jaume Durany, Jordi
Arques, Carles Spa, David García and Pau Arumí. And of course we are
thankful to whoever has contributed to Clam.
Lessons for Clam

To conclude, this is my quick list of lessons learnt during the realization
of this project using Clam.

   - The highly modular and flexible approach of Clam was very suited for
   this kind of research-while-developing. The multi-rate capability and data
   type plugins, where specially relevant.
   - The data-flow and visual infrastructure is sufficiently mature.
   - Prototyping and visual feedback is very important while developing
   new components. The NetworkEditor data monitors and controls were the most
   valuable debugging aids.
   - Everybody seems to like plugins!

--
Hernán