[Musix-users] Re: 1.0r3 test 4 probs and suggestions - chibitracker

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 17:12:43 CET 2008

Hola !
 | Hi Marcos!
 |
 | I've just had a quick go with the latest Musix and its improved a lot
 | since I last tried it about 6 months ago. I'd say its got the biggest
 | and best collection of software I've ever seen fit on 1 cdrom but its
 | still got a few showstopper bugs sadly :(

Dont worry

 | Firstly, the (kanotix) installer is broke. I installed Musix to an
 | ext3 /dev/hda2 with the kanotix installer but it didn't configure
 | grubs menu.conf properly- the partition (hda2) should've been
 | described as hd(0,1) but Musix set it up as hd(0,0) which resulted in
 | no kernel being found and so no boot.

It was solved:
http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Musix1.0r3test4-announce#IDE_hds

You have a patch there. Also, we are releasing test5 in a few ours

http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Musix1.0r3test5-announce

it has the patch, od course

The problem was related to knoppix and kanotix installer, and to the
rebuildfstab

 | Thankfully I'm a long time Linux
 | user and so I knew what the problem was and how to fix it but most
 | newbies would give up there and would be bewildered at the prospect of
 | fixing it.
 |
 | Secondly, I thought I read that Musix was supposed to auto-mount
 | drives now but I was unable to get it to even register my USB SD card
 | adapter / SD card.

Our 2.6.21 kernel does not has support for this kind of memory cards, install
the linux-image-2.6.23-rt1

 | Third, seeing as rox is the default desktop, I'd also like to have rox
 | used as the default file manager when I double-click 'Home' or any
 | other file links on the desktop. How do I make rox the default file
 | manager?

Good: I like it too :D

right clic on the icon (i suppose, the Home icon), Edit element, and just put
~/ in the first field, and remove the text in the second one

 | The last and biggest prob I've had with musix is I've been unable to
 | get internet working after installation although it does work when run
 | off the live CD. netcardconfig doesn't run at all and using the DHCP
 | netcard config option under Musixconfig hasn't worked either.

Thats weird, really... did you tried dhcp with sudo? netcardconfig as root?

 | As I've said already, Music is the best 700MB selection of FOSS
 | software I've ever seen but it can still be made even better - fix the
 | above bugs and scrap both Soundtracker and Cheesetracker and replace
 | them with the more powerful, more portable and better looking
 | chibitracker please!
 |
 | http://chibitracker.berlios.de/

Y will add it to the pending task list, thanks

http://prdownload.berlios.de/chibitracker/chibitracker-1.1.tar.gz

 | Traverso should also be included on Musix eventually,

it's allready there

 | maybe after the
 | next (0.43) release
 |
 | I'm looking forward to future Musix releases - thanks for your help
 | and a great distro!
 |
 | Dan

Thanks, the Live-DVD it's a good project too