[Musix-users] Do I run a low-latency and realtime kernel?

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 13:40:38 CEST 2007

El Lun 09 Abr 2007 17:45, Sean Edwards escribió:
 | First of all, I must say Marcos has taken on a large,
 | daunting, yet
 | valuable project with Music.  I have tried many other
 | Music/Sound
 | production Distro's, and Musix is the only one that
 | really works.  I
 | continue to be amazed at Marcos can do with his
 | Distribution.
 |
 | If there are any ubuntu people on this list, you may
 | know that Ubuntu
 | Studio is due for release this month:
 | http://ubuntustudio.org/  I admit
 | that I will try it, but then go back to using Musix.
 | Ubuntu Studio have
 | decided to use Gnome for the project desktop which
 | will cause problems
 | on my ancient hardware.  Again, Marcos' selection of a
 | lightweight
 | desktop (iceWM + ROX Filer) proves he understands the
 | scope of the
 | project and how to reach those goals.
 |
 | When researching information about Ubuntu Studio and
 | sound with Ubuntu,
 | I came across some very useful documentation
 | https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound.   The Ubuntu
 | Studio Preparation
 | page has brief yet useful discussion about Kernel
 | Preemption and XRUNS.
 | In that discussion, there is a link to a document on
 | compiling a Kernel
 | with Real Time Preemption:
 | https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToVanillaKernelWithRealtimePreemption
 |.
 |

 | Since Musix is based on Knoppix which is based on
 | Debian, and Ubuntu is
 | based on Debian, the documentation above should work.
 | I have Debian
 | Stable installed on a Mac G3 Blue and White, and
 | hopefully I will have
 | time to test the documentation.
 |
 | Please don't do kernel experimentation on a system
 | with important data!
 |
 | I hope this helps.

Yes it helps, and thanks for your words,  but I must tell you that thae
Musix's kernels followed, in part, those Ubuntu Studio's tutorials, so, the
work was done... but, sure, if the user is an experiences one, he could buid
a new kernel

I suggest to Try the 2.6.16-multimedia kernel that it's into Musix,

Also, the 2.6-16-beyond4.1 it's a realtime kernel...

To try it, start jack and type into a konsole:

ps -C jackd -cmL

You must see something like this:

ps -C jackd -cmL
  PID   LWP CLS PRI TTY          TIME CMD
11213     - -     - ?        00:00:00 jackd
    - 11213 TS   19 -        00:00:00 -
    - 11218 TS   20 -        00:00:00 -
    - 11219 TS   24 -        00:00:00 -
    - 11222 FF   90 -        00:00:00 -
    - 11223 FF   80 -        00:00:00 -

If there are no FF, it's not in realtime, also, Musix 0.99 tells you if you
are not using a realtime kernel.

Julien: is realtime-lsm loaded?

Type into a konsole:
lsmod | grep realtime

If you want more evidences:

marcos at musix099b16:~$ cat /boot/config-2.6.17-2-multimedia-486 | grep -i
realtime
CONFIG_SECURITY_REALTIME=m
marcos at musix099b16:~$ cat /boot/config-2.6.16-beyond4.1 | grep -i realtime
CONFIG_SECURITY_REALTIME=m

Julien, what could be wrong with zynaddsubfx? or does it happends with any
other apps?

Regards,

 |__________ The fish are biting.

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre

«No te tomes en serio nada que no te haga reír» [un amigo de E. Galeano]
... tampoco sigas al pie de la letra ninguna de estas frases...