[Musix-users] midisport firmware, jack and version .59

rutmang jimjimhowe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 02:56:58 CEST 2006

Hello All,

If I sound like a newbie, I am -- linux *and* midi.

I would like to be able to use my keyboard through a midisport uno usb
midi interface in Musix (ZynAdd, Speciman).  I fire up Jack and zynadd.
In Jack I midi-connect my midisport to zynadd, zynadd is already
audio-connected to my sound card.

I can conrol zynadd with its onscreen keyboard (and the "virtual
keyboard" app if I map it in Jack).  I can't by using the my midisport
keyboard.

I understand I need firmware loaded into the midisport in order to have
it function properly.  I've downloaded the
*midisport-firmware-1.2.tar.gz* and followed the compile instructions.
A requirement according to the readme is *udev*  I fire up synaptic,
check udev and apply.  This uninstalls hotplug.

After udev is installed, I run configure, make and make install.  I
think the rules are supposed to automatically load the firmware, but it
still does not control the app, even after reboot.

I see /dev/midi1 and try #cat /dev/midi1 (I've read elsewhere) and hit
some keys -- nothing.

Maybe I'm missing something simple in my ignorance?

One other thing - I'm using the .59 version and I need to run #modprobe
snd_seq in order to launch Jack with out popping a midi error.  Maybe
this is an incomplete command to get it to go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!