[Musix-users] Re: Just what I've been waiting for!

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 16:53:37 CEST 2006

Hola Dan MacDonald:
> Hi Marcos!
>
> What a great project this is! I only discovered Musix a couple of days
> ago and it is exactly what I've alays wanted from a Linux distro.

Thanks Dan!, I found this email in my SPAM folder :( today!

> Problem is that I couldn't get 0.59 to boot. I downloaded the image from
>
> http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/gnu/ftp/gnu+linux-distros/ututo-e/Mu
>sixGNU-Linux0.59.iso

You should download it using Bit Torrent, as we say in the download page, and
you should download Musix 0.59b19

> I tried it on 2 different CDs and PCs but it just didn't boot. Could
> someone please tell me where I can download a working image?

This image you downloaded works only in 50% of PCs.

Now I see that the musix.org.ar server is down, but you have a link here :D

https://e.ututo.org.ar/utiles/torrent/MusixGNU-Linux0.59.iso.torrent

> I DID get 0.50 to boot and install, but booting takes longer than
> usual due to some weird hotplug error where it scans for devices three
> times on boot and restart doesn't work although shutdown does.

Musix 0.59 shuold fix it because it uses udev.

> I was very happy to see an Openbox/ROX desktop session pre-configured
> in 0.50 although it is missing a rox-session icon in the taskbar so
> that you can log-out of X without doing a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE- is this
> fixed in 0.59?

Mmmmm... there is an icon, a red icon in the taskbat of openbox to close your
desktop, is not there?

> The other thing is that Rosegarden 1.4.0 isn't in testing yet.

Sure, I am trying it from an "alienized" version and it works perfect on
musix:

To install it:

Remove rosegarden4 and rosegarden-data packages from your musix

apt-get remove rosegarden4 rosegarden-data

Download 1.4.0:

Use alien to convert it to deb

alien -i rosegarden-1.4.0-1mdk.i586.rpm

> Rosegaden 1.4 adds the all important feature of not requiring you to
> specify a song length before hand and I think thats a very important
> new feature.
>
> I know these pakages aren't in Debian yet, but I'd really like to see
> Cinelerra, xdtv (xawdecode) and DeVeDe make it into Musix one day.

There is a Musix 0.60 version with cinelerra, nvu, blender, inkscape, but I
should test some things to release such a version, because I had to remove a
lot of packages to make room: AMSN, VIM, MC, locale support (pt, fr, etc.),
and development files.... so, I am thinking how could we make it possible.

> I'm not running Musix atm- is goobox included as standard? It should be.

Y dont know goobox, what is it?

> Looking forward to a new release!
>
> dan

Cheers

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre