[Musix-users] USB Midisport (license doubt)

MNO manostienen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 07:24:45 CEST 2006

Yuck, this licence stuff silly... hehe

Well I own a midisport so i hope to be able to use it....I can
understand that you don't have one, but whoy should you not be able to
include the files (since only the people who bought the hardware can
actually USE the drivers, so the the manufacturor got payed for it.
And paying twice would be a bit strange.

What i don't understan is why ALSA states on the site that the
midisport 4x4 (and also the GINA) is supported, ALSA is under GNU GPL,
so i asumed that if you install ALSA that all the suported hardware
should work without adding external files.

Then something else, the midisport should be a USB 'class compliant'
device the hardware should be build by the rules in this document
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/midi10.pdf
So any driver build for this purpose should be able to communicate to
the hardware without any firmware needs. Other hardware (like
steinberg midex) uses a diffrent hardware plan not compliant to these
specs, and they don't release information on how it is build. So for
those devices it's impossible to create drivers.

Back to ALSA... then again i say the ALSA driver should be able to
communicate with the midisport 4x4 based on the info i just gave you
(That is.... If i understand it the right way)

also look on this page
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=82

same story and a direct reference to ALSA

I hope this does not draw you away from your work to much... if it
does then please say so.

Mano.