[Musix-Help] Re: --initrd ... (a bit hacked)/ kernel headers

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en yahoo.com.ar
Mar Feb 28 04:48:04 CET 2006

Hola tapani.raikkonen en surfeu.fi:
> >> gethostbyname problem. But I have only booted to KDE once.
> >> Hostname was then Musix and perhaps KDE seeks Knoppix.
> >
> > Weird, I will check that
>
> I think it was when booting as a knoppix user. Now Içm writing from
> your 0.31 release and donçt have any problems at all as a root user.

Mmm, sure: Musix it's most tested as root user.

> The error message is:
> unable to lookup via gethostbyname ()

I saw (see in past mode?) this many times, i didnt knew about the reason

> Yes, now I remember. If you are logging in as a knoppix user your
> hostname must be knoppix - otherwise you get that error message.

fetched to a bug list.

> Good news! Perhaps itçs not necessary if you donçt have space enough.
> I think I found a patch to solve unionfs problem, see
> http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96724#96724

fantastic! i will see it in a minutes (i am remastering a musix0.39
build30: it runs and installs on HD fine with ALL the kernels, and has
a lot of bug fixes)

> Exactrly the same error message I got and patch for it!

I hope i could fix our big problem... for now, I am remastering Musix
with the "2.6.15.4 realtime kernel no unionfs" problem, but in the same
remaster lives the 2.6.15.2 kernel (boot by default) without this
problem, so, that's not so so big now.

> > Ah! that was the problem: knoppix-installer "forgot" to made the
> > initrd image, because the kernel package was not prepared to do
> > that.
>
> I have alwasy thought that initrd is tailored to an existing system
> and might not work in another system that differs from that it is
> created.

Mmm.. knoppix-installer uses chroot to hack it, as I did it in the
scripts I am sending you: it's a little hack to correct what knoppix
installer is doing wrong: now i find that he make the initrd images
but , for your kernels, he do it wrong, so when knoppix-installer
finish, "instalaren" fix it calling mkinitrd-musix.sh (that is also
linked to /etc/rcS.d/S65mkinitrd-musix.sh)

> In spite of that I install kernels to my remasterings in
> chroot state and I think initrd kernel donçt install there. Might be
> wrong. But I can check that and do a new kernel with realtime
> preemption and try to fix unionfs problem, too. Sorry, but not this
> evening anymore.

Dont worry, by the time (meantime?), i hacked some things (as you can
see) because I need a new Musix 0.39 version working fine to install it
into a LinuxCollege at Buenos Aires tomorrow, but we are not hurried
att all for the Internet version.

> >> I compiled yesterday also some more modules like alsa.
> >> make-kpkg --added-modules=alsa-driver modules_image
> >
> > What's the difference between having them inside or outside the
> > kernel package? It's better?
>
> Donçt be sure. I have downloaded yesterday new alsa-source package
> from Debian and I think that in vanilla kernel alsa module is a
> little bit older.

New alsa-modules have some problems with midi port numbers or something
like that, that's another reason because it's usefull to have more than
one kernel version running

> Every module I use are downloaded from Debian sources by apt-get
> install source_package.

That's wise: you got the source and compile it... maybe I will have to
do this with _every_ new package, because then we need to upload every
source from every binary.

> Sorry if I have errors in my writing - just
> noticed that spanish kbd differs a bit from finnish one.

I will have to add the finnish way now :-).... looking at KDE's control
panel, it tells me how to configure it (now it cant see it because the
PC is too slow with the remaster being happend down here)

> > There is a problem with demudi kernel (2.6.13, 2.6.14) because it's
> > not builded with framebuffer, so we can't use it by default
> > because, when Musix is installed on HD, if you choose the demudi
> > kernel, it shows you a BLACK screen until you got into X.
>
> Better to use framebuffer ;) vga=normal is veru ugly looking.

You got an artis eye: that's fine... end users want good looking system.

> >> Hope also that you could change F2, F3 more cleanly looking out.
> >> I'm using much simplified alook - same as in Damn Small Linux
> >> (there I got the idea).
> >
> > That's a nightmare for me: I will try to fix it, i cant understand
> > it well : i move characters from here to there, but they are almos
> > always in a bad way... so i keep trying >:=)
>
> Use Midnight Commander. But itçs almost impossible to get asci
> characters (especially those lines) in order with original Knoppix F2
> and F3. I add one of my file with this message as an example why I
> think that "simple is beautiful"  I donçt use same remastering method
> as you but I can check modifications very fast by doing a new iso fs
> from compressed fs and then using qemu. It takes under a minute to do
> that dma enabled!

It could be done by... deleting the /source/ path (i did something like
that into another partition just to test... it takes 10 minutes to
remaster, so i can test new kernels, etc)

> I have made a guide for remastering in my way and almost at the end
> are those explanation how colours are used in F2 etc. files:
> tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix/remaster.pdf
> But now itçs only available in finnish :(

hey!, I will see that just to learn some more weird words :S

> I have some problems in remastering Musix for some reason but donçt
> have had time to solve them. So itçs difficult for me to check
> everything as I would like to. Perhaps Içm waiting your next release
> and try to remaster that.

Perhaps it would be fair enought that I made an "universal" remaster
script for Musix, so anybody could remaster it in his home.

> Some things to ponder:
> - Would it be a good idea to boot directly to a logging screen and
> change there the language and session?

mmm... i dont understand, because taht's what we had done now: you must
choose a language from the isolinux boot screen, but,then (before X)
you can start different WMs, so you can also change the language

jaja, it will be changed and it will look as www.musix.org.ar

> - KDE should be used as a normal user and use kdesu or something to
> start programs which demands extra permissions.

Why? I know about security issues, but for now we need root user (we
will change to normal user as soon as we could)

> Içm very impressed of your wallpapers. They are very good looking out
> and eye rests in them!

I am glad about it: a friend of mine took these photos, if you want to
include some photo taken by yourself, you can send it.

about teh mail's subjetc: will you make a deb package for kernel-headers
too? I would be necessary.

Well that's all.... i hope this build30 solve the problems i had, moikka
--
Marcos Guglielmetti
Coordinador del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux