[kune-devel] Kune's calendar improvements

Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado vjrj at ourproject.org
Fri Mar 9 03:21:48 CET 2012

Hi there:

We've just updated kune.cc and kune demo with the calendar/events
functionality very improved. For instance, try:
http://kune.cc/?locale=es#sandbox.events
(Best viewed if you are logged). Double click on events to edit then.

One of the improvements, it's the possibility to export each group's
calendar to other calendar apps. For instance, these are the URL of the
calendar of "comunes" and "kune" groups, that you can use it in your
mobile, thunderbird, or similar apps:
http://kune.cc/ws/servlets/EventsServlet?token=comunes.events.312
http://kune.cc/ws/servlets/EventsServlet?token=kune.events.11
(just add as a new calendar).

Yes, something more or less common, but remember, all these events are
groups events (a collaborative agenda) that can be updated in real time
(same as gdocs), and can be decentralized (same as email). It's not a
simple static email or post with a event (that I, personally, tend to
forget).

This can help a lot in the mobilization of groups because in the end,
they tend to use email, twitter, fb, etc to do so, and well, don't work
very well. These facilitate the build of common agendas and not to
repeat efforts (we are always updating our personal agendas for each
group event).

Many work can be done in this direction:
- make the current code scalable (implementing some cache of calendars,
because now, kune generates the groups calendar in each petition).
- make a per user calendar (with all its personal or groups events)
with follow/unfollow of events.
- develop more the private/public events visibility and permissions.
- Create new event gadgets. Now our main event gadget (massmob) has been
improved a lot, but, we can develop/adapt other event capable gadgets,
like decentralized doodles, etc.

So, we can moving towards a decentralized Google Calendar, Doodle, etc
calendar infrastructure.

Bests,
--
Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado

http://comunes.org
http://ourproject.org
http://homes.ourproject.org/~vjrj/blog (@vjrj)

 "The great moral question of the twenty-first century is this: if all
 knowing, all culture, all art, all useful information can be costlessly
 given to everyone at the same price that it is given to anyone; if
 everyone can have everything, anywhere, all the time, why is it ever
 moral to exclude anyone?" [Eben Moglen]