[JoPP-Public] JoPP#15 TRANSITION: policy critique and co-development

Mathieu O'Neil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 19 02:23:01 CET 2021

Hi all

We will be sending out reviews to authors next week. In the meantime, please find below a summary of the Handbook content now available via the jopp. Other updates will follow.
http://peerproduction.net/projects/books/the-handbook-of-peer-production/

1-HoPP: Extracts
The political economy of academic publishing (Chapter 29)
Table 30.1 Be Your Own Peer: Principles (Chapter 30)
Table 30.2 Be Your Own Peer: Policies for the common good (Chapter 30)

2-HoPP: Preprints
Prophets and Advocates of Peer Production (Chapter 7)
What’s Next? Peer Production Studies? (Chapter 29)

3-HoPP: Table of Contents

Chapter 29 finishes with these words: 'We asked at the outset: “Should there be a field of peer production studies?” The answer is: why not, but also: who cares? Ultimately when it comes to one’s personal interest in peer production, considering it analytically, as an object of study, is perhaps less important than getting involved as a participant. We have accordingly decided to use the knowledge and imaginaries we encountered whilst studying peer production to list the benefits commons-based and commons-oriented peer production could contribute to humanity and the biosphere. To this end, the next and final chapter of the Handbook of Peer Production outlines guiding strategic principles and concrete policy proposals for progressive social change. Though we hope others will find these useful, this is not our main concern: the primary audience for this final chapter, as implied by its title (“Be Your Own Peer!”), is ourselves. It is meant as a resource that we can, with as much success as events will afford us, put into practice.'

We would like to use the jopp public list to critique and further develop the policy proposals and other suggestions presented in chapter 30 of the HoPP ["Be Your Own Peer! Principles and Policies for the Commons" (Mathieu O’Neil, Sophie Toupin & Christian Pentzold)]

So, starting next week, we are proposing to post a succession of extracts of this chapter to the list, asking if anyone has any ideas on how to improve / implement our proposals.

The two tables from ch. 30 which summarise our proposed principles and policies can be found as PDFs on the abovementioned jopp page.

If there is fruitful feedback and debate on the list, we will publish the reworked proposals in jopp#15 TRANSITION, listing all contributors.

Is everyone OK with this plan?

Any thoughts or hacks most welcome. :-)

cheers,
Mathieu and Panos