[JoPP-Public] Membership of jopp editorial group

george dafermos georgedafermos at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:34:00 CEST 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 6:01 AM Mathieu O'Neil <mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi George, all
>
> Since we follow "do-ocratic" principles it seems right to me that George,
> who is the only person to have expressed support for the evolution of the
> journal proposal on jopp-public, should formally be invited to join our
> editors group - all the more so as he edited with Vasilis an issue on
> policies for the commons and that is part of what we aim to develop.
>
> @George: What do you say?

I feel that the intent of my email has been misunderstood. The essence of
what I wrote is that the themed format (=special issues) should not be
abandoned. Of course, that doesn't mean that I am against experimenting
with other ideas *in parallel* *with* the existing format. So, in other
words, it would be more accurate to say that I don't object to what you
propose, as long as we find a way to keep the themed format. And as it has
already been mentioned in this thread, perhaps we could do that by dividing
the website into two content areas: one for policy papers, the other
basically for "more conventional" research papers. What do you think? Would
that make sense?

On a related note, I had a chat with Vasilis today about this and we both
feel that the main problem with the existing model of JoPP comes down to
our lack of accreditation, inclusion in databases, etc. If we could do
something about that, the JoPP would become much more attractive to young
researchers and we think that this, more than anything else, is the key to
its future success. I know we've talked about that in the past and I know
that what I propose is easier said than done, but I think we might need to
look at it again. What do you all think? Is that something worth re-trying?
Needless to say, if others think that this is something that makes sense
for us to do, Vasilis and I would be more than happy to "get our hands
dirty" with it :-)