[JoPP-Public] JOPP board, reviews - DOI / DIY

Mathieu O'Neil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 15:15:57 CEST 2018

Hi all

A few reminders for those who have recently joined this list as well as for old-timers who may not have thought about the journal for a while...

JoPP editorial board membership

To become a member you must be sponsored on this list by a current Journal of Peer Production editorial board member; then you need to post a short statement on this same list introducing yourself, your research interests, and how you intend to contribute to the journal. If no-one objects, after a week, you're in!

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Editorial board members obligations

The one obligation is that if you are called on to review a paper for the Journal of Peer Production, you do the damn review. If people start turning down reviews this causes stress for the Issue Editors. So please don't turn us down when you are asked for help - it does not happen very often!

DOI/DIY

There has been talk on the list of introducing DOIs. My position has always been that if someone feels strongly about something to do with the journal, and this project does not contradict our very minimal set of "rules" (if we can even call them that - we have processes really) then Go For It and Do It Yourself.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if this requires money. Not for any ideological reason but because this then introduces a whole new set of responsibilities, administration, potential for abuse, etc., which on the whole seems more like a pain than a benefit. So if we can't have DOIs without money, whoever really wants DOIs should perhaps source an external grant and apply it to that problem, rather than manage it internally? Just a thought. Open to discussion, of course.

cheers,

Mathieu