[JoPP-Public] DOAJ: PDF and CC?

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Fri Oct 28 17:40:52 CEST 2016

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 04:37:40AM +0000, Mathieu ONeil wrote:
>> PDFs would feature this text:
>>
>> "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
>>
>> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License"
>>
>> Now the only indication we have about copyright is "All the contents
>> of this journal are in the public domain" (on the front page) which is
>> a bit vague.
>>
>> So should we change this text to the CC licence? Any reason not to?
>
> I, for one thing, would object to that change on the basis that the
> mentioned license is *not* a Free Culture licenses (not all CC licenses
> are; see https://creativecommons.org/freeworks ). If we want to go to
> for CC license, we should go for something like CC BY (AKA
> "attribution"), and specifically avoid any "non commercial" or "non
> derivative" variant.
>
> While we are at it, version 4.0 of the CC licenses are generally much
> better than 3.0 that are suggested above.
>
> Finally, it is actually not true that "public domain" is a vague
> formulation, but it is true that it might not be appropriate for JOPP,
> because most europeans, and others, will not be allowed to put their
> works in "real" public domain (in several countries around the world you
> cannot waive moral rights). The closest approximation to that we can go
> for is CC0: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ , which
> waives all waivable rights, and fallbacks to a very broad public license
> where that is not possible.

Happy to hear we agree that CC0 is the only acceptable CC licence for
JoPP. :-) The only good copyright is the dead copyright! >-[ I like to
tell people that they can download articles from JoPP and publish them
under their name is that is what they really want to do (even if I am
not sure that is really the case)...

> Sorry for the license lawyering :-), but this kind of choices will have
> an impact on our target public in free culture/free software circles, so
> we should think carefully about them.

+1

--
maxigas, kiberpunk
FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614 0901 7879 63BC 287E D166

In Solidarity with Library Genesis and Sci-hub
http://custodians.online

Share this letter - read it in public - leave it in the printer. Share
your writing - digitize a book - upload your files. Don't let our
knowledge be crushed. Care for the libraries - care for the metadata -
care for the backup. Water the ❀❀❀❀❀ - clean the volcanoes.