[JoPP-Public] re New editorial board member: Kat Braybrooke

Kat Braybrooke kat.braybrooke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:22:35 CET 2016

Hello Mathieu, Peter et al,

Thank you for the invitation to become part of the JoPP board -- it's a
great honour to be involved with such a great community of makers and
thinkers. I've been a big fan of the work of JoPP for a while now as an
open tech practitioner, and I often credit the Shared Machine Shops Issue
#5 for helping inspire me to go back into academia and conduct my own
research!

As for what I'm up to, I'm currently doing doctoral fieldwork aimed at
understanding user experiences of access, ownership and power at spaces for
digital making emerging within cultural institutions in London like the
Tate's Digital Studio. This work is made possible thanks to a scholarship
from the University of Sussex Digital Humanities Lab:
http://sussex.ac.uk/shl

I'm also a critical design practitioner via http://codekat.net and have
collaborated with (and learned from!) many of you here while working for
various open tech orgs from Mozilla to the Open Knowledge Foundation for
the past 10 years, building creative F/LOSS tools, curricula and workshops
for underserved communities ala <http://mozfestartoftheweb.tumblr.com>.

As far as my participation with JoPP, I'm happy to say Adrian Smith and I
will be co-editing Special Issue #12, which builds on the shared machine
shop insights of Issue #5 by looking at a new wave of institutionalization,
practices and spaces amongst shared machine shops. This issue was proposed
in collaboration with participants of a track entitled "Whose industrial
revolution?" from this year's 4S/EASST Barcelona: <http://bit.ly/1SzPmvI>.
I'm also happy to help with the JoPP website if needed.

I look forward to learning (and continuing to be inspired) by you all!

٩(●ᴗ●)۶ // Kat

Kat Braybrooke

Doctoral Researcher, University of Sussex
Humanities Lab | School of Media, Film + Music
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/358413

Researcher-in-Residence, Tate
Taylor Digital Studio
http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-britain/taylor-digital-studio